Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

cat09
My Device: 9220
My Carrier: 628561484519

BB 9220 frequently turns off suddenly

Hello, 

I'm in need of help. My BB frequently turns off by itself, even if there are no applications running. I tried to restart it by pressing the power button, but that never worked. I had to hard restart it by taking off the battery and then putting it back on again. I need to do this around 2 or 3 times (only once if i'm lucky) to get it to turn back on. The frustrating part is when it shuts itself down again only a couple minutes after I had managed to turn it on again. 

The battery also heats up sometime. It gets very hot, so I had to take it off and let it cool down for a moment. In addition to that, the battery gets drained quickly and at times the 'battery low, radio turned off' warning pops up even when the battery is still at around 70% to 80% capacity. 

My friend also had this problem and he solved it with changing the battery. I'm hesitant at doing that because I got it in December 2012, so it hasn't been a year yet. Admittedly, the phone fell quite a few times. I have to wonder if it's because something is broken because it fell or the battery or something else. 

Thanks for your help and suggestions. 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BB 9220 frequently turns off suddenly

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Given your description, there are many possible reasons, including physical damage for which no amount of internet-distance diagnostic activities can truly provide an actual diagnosis nor can any software/OS level "fixes" be of any use. But, to narrow down which may actually be causal, there are a number of tests you will need to conduct.

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain directly connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB, not a cradle):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain an known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem. Note carefully please that "new" and "know good" are not necessarily the same things. While rare, a "new" battery certainly could be defective. Rather, the simplest (and least costly, btw) method to conduct this test is to find someone with an identical BB who has no issues...trade batteries and see what happens.

But if the behavior continued in Safe Mode and the other tests above revealed the problem to be your BB and not your battery, then you may need to consider more drastic actions -- WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, and the "Bare Bones" OS Reload Process. To prepare, you should be sure that you have a full backup to your PC...please review the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post for instructions.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
rajahram
My Device: BB 9220
My Carrier: Airtel

Hello, 

I am also facing same problem but the battery is not heating up. The battery gets drained quickly when loud profile activated and at times the 'battery low, radio turned off' warning pops up. 

it is one year old mobile.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

From what you report, I see nothing additional to provide...please review what is already posted within this thread, trying the various recommendations.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nikhil_gupta
My Device: curve-9220
My Carrier: Dolphin

hey!!

i have just the same problem.

i followed your safe mode method and figured it out that my bb switched off less frequently at first, but it seemed to return at its normal pace of switching off. I also think that my bb switched off only when i was attending a call or had my wifi connected and oppened whatsapp or facebook app.

please suggest what should be done now!

also i want to know that in your kick start method in step 2, 5  and 6 , what do you mean by inserting battery- should i or should i not keep my bb switched on at that time

thanks for your efforts!! 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

nikhil_gupta wrote:

hey!!

i have just the same problem.

i followed your safe mode method and figured it out that my bb switched off less frequently at first, but it seemed to return at its normal pace of switching off. I also think that my bb switched off only when i was attending a call or had my wifi connected and oppened whatsapp or facebook app.

please suggest what should be done now!

So far from what you report, nothing more than is already recommended in this thread.

nikhil_gupta wrote:

also i want to know that in your kick start method in step 2, 5  and 6 , what do you mean by inserting battery- should i or should i not keep my bb switched on at that time

Please re-read the instructions...everything is there. For the entire process, you must keep your BB attached to the known good wall charger. At the steps indicated, you remove the battery, wait, and then re-insert the battery.  You should not need to touch the power switch at all for this process.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nikhil_gupta
My Device: curve-9220
My Carrier: Dolphin

hi again!

just like u said, i replaced my battery with a brand new one.

for the first few days, my bb worked alright, that was relief, but again, within a week of the new battery, the above listed problems showed up again.

In fact the disturbances didnt start the way they did last time. "battery not enough for radio use" being shown and wifi and carrier switched off- that didnt happen at all,  it directly switched off out of nowhere. 

then later, when i switched it on, again within few minutes it showed that message about radio use and switched off.

and since then the the problem has been the same

also when it switches off, sometimes after the screen going blank, the red light emits and it switches back on by itself; but at times it doesnt. i have to take out the battery and put it in again, then it switches on.

but also after putting it in, the red light doesnt emits every time, i have to take it out and put it back in like 4-5 times every time and wait, after which the red light starts and it switches on.

then i discovered one thing, that we i use it while charging, it doesnt switches off. i kept going with that for like 2 weeks. now whithin 3 weeks of the battery, it is not starting at all. 

even if i take out and put the battery inside, then red light activates and then goes off, nothing happens then.

I cant use the phone at all.

its just a black screen.

when kep on charging, it shows a battery simbol in red colour on the black screen, but nothin happens

plz help!! really in need of it!!

plz!!

thank you

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

nikhil_gupta wrote:

just like u said, i replaced my battery with a brand new one.

Actually, that is not what I said...indeed, I specifically cautioned against trying this with a new battery. Please re-read.

Nevertheless, from what you describe, something is abnormally draining your battery. Consequently, if you could not figure out, via the Safe Mode diagnostic, what the specific cause was, then you would continue with what has already been recommended above (Wipe, OS reload, etc.).

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.