Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
selly
My Device: Not Specified

BB Curve 8320 Maps "Where I Am" Question

According to my BB 8320 Owners Manual, when I attempt to use "Where I Am" to view my location on a map the instructions read "To view your current location, click Where I Am" (after clicking "Find Location" on a map). Upon selecting the MENU button within a map the "Where I Am" feature is not an available selection.

Is this "Where I Am" an inherent feature within BB maps (preloaded on my device) OR is a third party download (i.e., an enhanced GPS program) required? Thanks for the help. This appears to be a handy feature I'd like to indulge.

Super Contributor
DigitalFrog
My Device: Z10

Re: BB Curve 8320 Maps "Where I Am" Question

When you click for the menu within a map, the menu choice is "Find a Location".  Once you select that, the next screen will offer "Where I am", you don't have to click the menu again.

When you first click the menu inside a map, do you get the option "Start GPS Navigation"?  If you don't see it, it might be a carrier issue.  I have found the BB Maps programs differ according to carrier, a some of the US carriers (ATT, Verizon) charge for their own version (ATTNavigator, VZNavigator) and block the use of the free version.  I know in Canada, Telus has no restrictions on it and the only charges would be the data cost of downloading the maps.  I believe Rogers is also setup this way, I don't know about Bell.

Cost tip:  We have standardized on using BlackBerry Maps, as opposed the the Google Maps app that some like to use.  BlackBerry Maps does not have the satellite photo option which, while fun to use, requires a lot more data to be downloaded and can run up your charges, especially when employees are roaming abroad (when you are more likely to need maps).

posted by DigitalFrog

Thanks for the tip! I have since learned (Using Support within T-Mobile web site) that GPS is not supported by T-Mobile and a GPS "puck" is required to fully use GPS satellite technology.

From T-Mobile "Support" web site (verbatim): "The handheld does not contain an embedded GPS radio. In order to use GPS mapping on the handheld, you need to obtain a separate GPS puck and connect it to your BlackBerry via Bluetooth®." 

Of course, this requires buying the Bluetooth GPS puck AND subscribing to a GPS third party provider. (Buyer beware of that 'fine print' caveat).

At least your tip allowed me to TYPE in an address and the Map indeed showed me the location. That's helpful to know.

You are correct: It is a carrier issue. This may help other forum users with the same question. Thanks again!

BlackBerry Employee
mgoldsmith

You are correct that you would need a puck but not that you would need any 3rd party software.  BBMaps will use a bluetooth puck just fine.  In "Options -> Advanced Options -> GPS" you can set the GPS Data source to be a bluetooth puck (after you have successfully paired and connected to this via Bluetooth).  After this BBMaps will use the puck to act as a GPS receiver.
New Contributor
masterseoonline

thanks @ mgoldsmith its amazing , blackberry with gps and map , its so verry important............

we can knowing our location where we stay d:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
blackberry indo : harga blackberry terbaru