Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

BB Curve 8330 Locked Up

I haven't had any major issues with the phone until yesterday. While set on vibrate, I received a text, then every button stopped working. I tried to reset it by removing the battery and also using alt, control, delete like stated in the manual for the phone. Obviously C A D didn't work due to the keys not working but neither did removing the battery. I have removed the battery atleast 15x during the course of the evening. I'm persistent, LOL, really just need to be able to use my phone. Once reinserting the battery, the main screen will come on and the roller ball will scroll over the icons but it will not select an icon. My phone will still receive text, email, and calls...but none of the buttons work to reply or answer. Once the screen goes black nothing will make it come back on. I do have my phone backed up on the desktop manager which I also used to remove all Apps that I had loaded when I got my phone. Never had any problems with them but was hoping for the best. Removed the battery again, put it back and still having the same problems. What could be wrong? How can I fix this? Is there anyway to use my computer to check my received messages? Thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions!

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: BB Curve 8330 Locked Up

I am having the exact same problem with my Curve 8310. I have tried everything. My carrier does not have any solution.

New Contributor

I am at a loss for what to do about my BB. Can't afford to replace it, I still have my old Samsung but I have no idea how to transfer my stuff off of my BB since none of the buttons are working. Spoke with someone at the Verizon site who was having similar issues and she had to replace her phone, but it was still under warranty. Mine is not and since I didn't buy it from the Verizon store they wouldn't let me carry insurance on it. Smiley Mad

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

I don't know if it will help you, but I've been doing quite a bit of reading and this problem seems to be pretty common. It seems to be caused by exposure to moisture. I baby my phone and it's never been intentionally exposed to moisture, but on Sunday it was in a warm, humid car for several hours, so maybe the moist air got to it. I am going to try taking the battery out and putting the Blackberry and the battery in some rice for a day or two. There are also instructions on the site on how to uninstall and reinstall the software. I may try that if the drying process doesn't work. I am about 10 days past my warranty and I can't afford to replace my phone and I do not want to extend my AT&T contract. They have horrible customer service. Good luck to you, I hope one of these fixes works!

New Contributor

Trust me, I understand babying a phone all to well. When I bought my BB I also got the rugged Body Glove for it just to help keep it cosmetically pristine. It has never been wet, left in the sun or moisture. Only thing I can think of is that it is tired of being pampered, LOL. Few friends suggested I throw it, thought about it, but I know I can not afford to get a new phone nor lock into another 2 years with a phone that fizzled on me. I will try the rice just because that is the only thing I haven't tried at this point. I will keep you posted. Thank you!

New Contributor

Wahoo, after everything from removing the battery to wiping out my entire phone and reloading the OS, I finally got it fixed thanks to a very helpful post. Smiley Very Happy I disassembled my phone and very carefully lifted the white keypad membrane up to the top row of buttons. I cleaned the copper discs on the motherboard and membrane very carefully with rubbing alcohol. Let dry and then reassembled. Two of the discs had residue on them. Only thing I can think of is that it was causing a button hold. It works like new now. YYYAYYYYYYYY!!!!!

My Carrier: sprint

I reloaded the OS but I get the same problem.  The menu opens and the roller ball moves up and down but when clicked nothing happens.  When charging the battery only the clock appears and that is why I call this 'clock mode'.  Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, what did you do to correct it?  Thank you.