If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
ajlsealey
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: Bell

BB Curve 9300 Not Recognized by USB of either Mac or PC

I had my BB Curve 9300 stolen so I bought another one - used - to last me until the end of my contract. This one's fine, but isn't recognized by either my Mac or PC when I plug it into the USB port. BUT when I plug it in to the Mac it does start charging and when I plug it in to the PC it does find it but tells me that there's a problem with the device. I don't think it's a problem with my computers since they both worked fine with my previous Curve 9300 and neither will recognize it. The problem might be being caused by an app that the girl I bought it from downloaded and couldn't figure out how to get it off (after I'd bought it, of course). When I go to the media icon and try to enter, say, the  'Music' section a screen appears that asks me to < Enter Password > with an image of a file with chains around it and a lock on it. I have the password for this. But whether or not this is the cause of the problem is just speculation. 

It crossed my mind to just wipe the thing and then start again, but since my computer(s) won't recognize it I'm not even sure this is a feasible solution. Any advice would be appreciated. 

It looks like the device is using Blackberry 6.  

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BB Curve 9300 Not Recognized by USB of either Mac or PC

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Actually, your instincts are correct...but there is even more you should do:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

From what you describe, she did not properly complete all of the Seller steps. Hopefully the only one she skipped was the on-device WIPE, for that is the one that the BUYER can still conduct without issue...but, if she skipped some of the other SELLER steps, beware...

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ajlsealey

Many thanks for getting back in touch so quickly. Unfortunately I have wiped the device and both my computers still fail to recognize it. Any further ideas?
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

A few...

Here is the list of troubleshooting articles...hopefully something will be useful:

• http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Tips-for-getting-BlackBerry-Deskt...
  • KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader
  • KB28457 BlackBerry Desktop Software is unable to detect the BlackBerry Smartphone due to administrative permissions
  • KB28458 BlackBerry Desktop Software is unable to detect the BlackBerry Smartphone when user account control is enabled
  • KB28459 BlackBerry Desktop Software is unable to detect the BlackBerry Smartphone when a full version of Roxio® Media Manager is installed 
  • KB28456 BlackBerry Desktop Software is unable to detect the BlackBerry Smartphone when USB selective suspend setting is enabled
  • KB28444 The BlackBerry smartphone is not detected by BlackBerry Desktop Software when connected by USB to a USB hub or a docking station
  • KB28443 BlackBerry Desktop Software cannot detect the BlackBerry smartphone when it is connected via USB
  • KB02640 Troubleshooting USB connections
  • KB15486 Top 10 BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry Desktop Manager troubleshooting tips
  • KB00125BlackBerry Desktop Software cannot detect the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB11439 BlackBerry Desktop Software does not detect the BlackBerry smartphone when it is connected
  • KB00019 No PIN displayed in BlackBerry Desktop Redirector
  • KB10938 "USB charging current is insufficient" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB01451 How to turn on advanced synchronization logging if a wired synchronization fails
  • KB19717 The BlackBerry smartphone is not detected as a USB Mass Storage Device when connected to a computer
  • KB16310 Media Transfer Protocol and the BlackBerry Storm smartphone
  • http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Desktop-Manager-quot-disconnected...

Also, check that you are using only root USB ports...no hubs (sometimes the front-side ports are hubs...use a rear USB port). And make sure to try disabling USB power management in your system configuration (Device Manager).

Also check on conflicting software...it has been reported that the software package NTI Shadow&Ninja can cause a conflict; removing them and reinstalling the BB desktop software allows it to install correctly.

Apologies in advance if this is redundant -- there's no way to be sure if you've already seen and tried these. Also apologies if any are not presently available...RIM takes them up and down at will as they revise things.

Hopefully something there is helpful!

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ajlsealey

There are several that I hadn't come across while searching, so I'll give the list a go and see if it gets me anywhere. Many thanks for your help. Cheers, Anthony
Please use plain text.