Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
deedubdotu
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9360

BB Curve 9360

Can anyone help. I bought this phone from an auction site but it doesn't work.

The Messaging SMS(threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM, Browser HTML doesn't work. I got told by techs that this is not built in to the phone so the email will never work. Something to do with IT Policy constraints. He told me some units are blocked due to IT Policies registered on some handsets.

Can anyone explain what that means or fix this problem.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: BB Curve 9360

Hello,

Yikes...from that response, I'd be quite concerned about that dealer for many things. What they told you is sort of true, but not true in other respects. So, here's a bunch of things for you to consider/act upon.

There's nothing to add to your BB per se. Using the BB-specific services is a matter of your carrier providing those to you. And there are some things that must happen for them to do so.

Any BB can be used on any carrier that runs the same radio frequencies that the BB is capable of (and I've no idea if your's are such). But, to bring a BB onto a carrier network that they did not sell to you, there are several hurdles to cross:

1) The carrier must say "yes" to the fact...they own their network and have every right to say what devices will be allowed to connect to it. If they say "no", then that's the end of it.

2) You must be sure that your BB is properly unlocked from it's originally manufactured-for carrier...see this helpful thread for details:

3) You must get all of your voice level services functioning on the carrier, before you even try anything about data

4) You must subscribe, from the carrier, to an adequate data plan to enable the BB-proprietary services you desire

5a) If the carrier directly supports your specific model BB, then you can proceed with registering the BB onto their network, generating the proper Service Book delivery to your BB, and proceeding to function.

5b) But, if the carrier does not directly support your specific model number of BB, then the challenges are much greater as most carrier systems will not deliver, to the BB, the necessary service books to enable the BB-proprietary data services, even if you do subscribe to them.

So, depending on all of that, your BB may or may not ever fully function on that carrier network. It can be quite tricky to accomplish, especially if 5b applies. So take a look at all of that and decide how you wish to proceed. Most folks wind up just buying a new BB if 5b applies.

As to an IT Policy, if one is on board, it can indeed be blocking many services, and so you'd need to do this so as to properly cleanse it from the BB:

• KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

If you already have any data on the BB you need to preserve, then you'd want to first take a full backup:

• KB12487 How to back up BlackBerry smartphone data using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows

But, after you do the ResetToFactory, DO NOT do a wholesale restore...if you do, you will simply put back the offending IT Policy...restore only those databases you truly require:

• KB10339 How to use BlackBerry Desktop Software to restore data to a BlackBerry smartphone from a backup file
  • KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

However, that's not the end of it either...for example, if the BB remains registered to a BES system somewhere, it is completely possible for that BES system to "reach out" and re-register the BB, and place that IT Policy right back onto the device anyway.

All of that said, there still could be this problem:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

If the seller did not fully and properly complete the required SELLER steps in that KB, then you may never be able to use this device for full services...especially when it comes to those actions required by a mobile service provider (e.g., an existing BIS account). Typically, they (the carrier) will only accept requests from the actual account holder...a 3rd party (which, in this example, you would be) is not typically authorized to do what needs to be done. And if those things are not done, then your carrier would be unable to deliver services to you.

Likewise, if perhaps the device is reported as lost or stolen, then no carrier will be able to deliver services to that BB no matter what.

So, all in all, from what you've reported, I have serious concerns with this seller...what they said is not accurate, and if they truly were reputable, they would know how to properly cleanse these BBs of the IT Policy so as to remove that potential constraint.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.