If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
marke2105
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: O2

BB Newbie needs answers!!!

Evenin all,

Just been to the O2 shop today and picked up a BlackBerry Curve 8520. I'm totally new to Blackberry and have a few questions regarding Wi-Fi, basically Im on a simplicity contract with O2 and dont have any mobile internet bolt ons, but speaking with the girl in the shop she said I would be able to connect to wifi at home and have access to email and the internet. When I got home I launched the wifi setup, scanned for my router and found it entered the key and thought I had connected. However when I checked the connections wifi has a white dash beside it and when I try and get on the browser it tells me it is unable to connect.

Im thinkin that maybe I need some settings from O2 (MMS or such) but Ive tried that from the handset and it says unforuntately it cannot do it.

Anyone had similar problems or is it impossible to get on home wifi without and internet plan?

Please could someone point me in the right direction,

Regards

Mark :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
gociro
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: BB Newbie needs answers!!!

Hi Mark,

First you have to enter the Browser, then search for options.

When you're in options click on the one that says browser configuration and on "browser" select hotspot browser.

The same in General properties.

If you don't have a data plan you can use wifi.

Regards!
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
stevels400
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: Orange UK

Hi

The girl in the shop would say that wouldn't she?

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_do_I_need_a_Data_Plan_for%3F

I just had a look at the O2 simplicity web pages and you can have a Data Plan for a small extra cost and then be able to access the full range of services including Wi-Fi and email.

Being new to BB, it will be difficult to grasp the functionality to be gained. Without a Data Plan you will be browsing on the mobile network which is slow. You will have to log-in to your email accounts over that link to check emails and send. All of this will be using allowance and its quite easy to run up a significant extra cost each month. The BB Data Plan means your emails are linked directly to the phone and come through in just the same way as SMS texts do. No logging-in.

You will also be able to benefit from Blackberry App World which provides a huge number of applications to personalise your device. Many are free. Have a look - you can browse the apps on your PC.

http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/appworld/

As a final note, the 8520 is not GPS (satnav) capable. Don't make a decision to have a data plan just on the basis of wanting an app that uses GPS (Facebook Places??) because it either won't work or you will find it very difficult.

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
marke2105
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: O2

Thanks for the replies,

I have tried changing the browser to hotspot but this is stil not changing anything.

With regards to this data plan business, I am not really bothered about internet when Im out of the house, I just want to be able to use it on my home wifi,

Cheers

Mark

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
stevels400
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: Orange UK

marke2105 wrote:

Thanks for the replies,

With regards to this data plan business, I am not really bothered about internet when Im out of the house, I just want to be able to use it on my home wifi,

Cheers

Mark

No Data Plan means no home Wi-Fi.

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mompy57595
My Device: Not Specified

Wifi connection lost on my blackberry curve8520.was able to connect to linksys no more.other phones in same household can but not mine.
Please use plain text.