Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
Ferodo
My Device: Curve 9380
My Carrier: Maxis

BB contact automatically changed

Hey guys,

i got this one problem. it started when i lend my bb to my wife(my wife bb send for repair). after her bb repaired, then i got my bb. i wipe off data both our bb(my wife and me) to get a clean os back. we register back and restore back all the data we needed. the problem now is, my blackberry messenger automatically changed my wife bb contact to mine. try to look at the contact. it also changed to my bb pin. try to delete the contact and add again my wife bb pin. my wife bb contact work normally untill few hours later my wife bb contact automatically again changed to my contact profile(which is also changed to my bb pin). i cant find any solution for this problem. please help me guys. please... :Helpsmilie:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BB contact automatically changed

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

It sounds like you probably have both BBs using the same BBID, and it is therefore intermingling the BBM entries (and, likely, other things) between the two devices, trying to combine their separate data together. To fix it, you need to choose one BB that you WIPE and create a brand new BB ID for that device to use, which is then totally separate from the other BB. Then, on that wiped BB, you will have to start totally over manually entering everything. On the other (non-wiped) BB, you will have to manually cleanse all of the data it contains.

It will be a very tedious process, but having them on separate BB IDs will prevent their separate data from mixing together again.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Ferodo
My Device: Curve 9380
My Carrier: Maxis

Oh my. this is going to be a messy process. how about BBM contact and all my phone contact? since the ID will be change to a new one, i think all the data will be lost. having a new ID is like having my new Blackberry. i have to start back from zero. is there any other way i can save all the contact data? by the way thanks with reply sdgardne:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Yes, the BB you choose to separate, you must WIPE...which will of course wipe out all data.

Before performing the WIPE, you can use the Desktop Software to back up the data to your PC, and then selectively restore after the WIPE completes those databases you desire. But keep in mind that any that are already containing commingled data will continue to have that after you complete it...the backup/restore process can only be selective down to the database level...not the record level.

Or, for Calendar/Contact data, you can configure tethered sync to Outlook (or another compatible PIM) so that you have the data there. Then you can WIPE the BB and use the PIM to clean it up, and then reconfigure for sync to put the data back onto the BB.

Or, you can (by using Desktop Software 6) export Calendar/Contact data to a CSV, which you could use to cleanse the data on the PC. Then, WIPE the BB and import the cleansed data file.

There are several methods you can use to enable you to at least use the PC for the process of cleansing the data for the BB. But, for BBM contacts, it sounds like you updated to BBM7, which then negates any local backup/restore process...BBM7 contacts are stored "in the cloud" rather than locally, so when you separate the BB from the BBID (via WIPE), you will have to manually reinvite all of your BBM contacts, groups, etc. onto that BB.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.