Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
jlmemt
My Device: Not Specified

BB maps/GPS and Verizon

[ Edited ]

Okay.  I have figured out that I got screwed by Verizon.  They sold me a phone(8330 curve) and block some of it's features, such as GPS on BBmaps.  Of course they didn't tell me this, and even tried to deny it after I figured it out!  Then they gave me some BS answer that it doesn't meet their security standards so they block it to protect me.  We all know it is so they can sell their crappy VZnavigator, which I will never pay a penny for!!

My question, Is there anyway around this block?

Message Edited by jlmemt on 06-26-2008 09:13 AM
Forums Advisor I
JeremyKitching
My Device: Curve 8900

Re: BB maps/GPS and Verizon

No, there is not a way around this block. The only way to unlock the GPS inside of Verizon BlackBerry devices is to subscribe to the VZNavigator service. Then you can use the internal GPS with whatever software package you like.

The only other workaround you could do without purchasing the VZNavigator subscription is purchase a Bluetooth GPS receiver and pair it with the BlackBerry. Then you could use that GPS device for whatever program you want.

New Contributor
jlmemt

I figured that was the case.

Looks like it is time to put pressure on Verizon!  I will not buy navigator and I don't like this kind of business practice.

Any good carriers out there that don't pull this kind of crap?  I may need to switch!

Thank you for the information.

Jason

New Contributor
ccioce

I too have a BB 8330 and am actively trying to find a way around the "disabled" GPS. From reading the 8330 User Guide, it specifically states that the option to utilize the GPS is available for use, but that some carriers disable the feature. It is obvious that the programmers at RIM have included this option in their source code for the operating system. I can't say for sure, but it is a logical assumption that RIM "sells" the operating system source code to Verizon and Verizon programmers therefore alter some of the features (GPS being one of them). I am not sure if the features are merely hidden, or if they are literally deleted from the code. My hopes are that they are just hidden, so that if you could get the source code, you could reveal the option, but I doubt this is the case.

To get to the point, I believe it is possible to get around this situation if one possessed the "unedited" or "original" source code, or fully compiled operating system. I don't see how it would be legal to possess this file, but the internet is a great place to obtain illegal software! The best place to officially get this would be RIM themselves, or Verizon techs before they edit the file. Or, another possibility, and maybe more legal one, would be to develop a mimic operating system, which is more work than what it's worth. If anyone has any additional views or suggestions, please reply back to me or pin me (31A3BA8A). Pin is preferred method of contact. Thanks. Be well.

-Chris 

Contributor
domdp

I am a new BB user and have what I think is a simple question. I have my corporate e-mail account.

O also set up a personal e-mail account ......how can I stop the AOL e-mail from showing up in my corporate folder.

I want my aol mail in my aol folder and only my cporporate e-mail in my regular mailbox?

New Contributor
ccioce

domdp,

to my knowledge, it is only possible to have ALL email account messages come into the messages folder, or NONE display in the messages list. My reasoning for this is if you go into either the Messages list or any email list and press the blackberry button, then scroll down to options and click the trackball. This will open up a new window with 3 choices: select General Options and scroll down to SMS and Email Inboxes. I believe the default is Theme Controlled, at least mine is. You can select the option to be Separate, in which case NO email messages will be displayed in the Messages list. Other than that, I dont know of any other way to do it. Best of luck.

-Chris