Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
brevitatis
My Device: blackberry curve

BB wont work abroad

I am in Rome, Italy for a few days. I have been unable to connect to any mobile network. I only have 'SOS' coverage. I have tried roaming both on and off. I have shut the phone down, taken the battery out and still it wont connect when I start up again. The connection is on 'automatic'. What's the problem?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: BB wont work abroad

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Sorry I can't be specific...not knowing your specific information (there are many models called "curve", and 447890958009" is not any carrier that I recognize) precludes anything specific. But, here are a few guesses for you to try.

1) Your BB does not contain a radio that is compatible with any of the carrier networks in Rome. There are many different mobile technologies in the world...naturally, to function, both the network and the device must be physically compatible at a radio level. If not, then they simply cannot communicate with each other.

2) Your BB has it's home network SIM installed, but you did not contact your home carrier before leaving and have them configure international roaming for you.

3) You are using your home network SIM and you did contact your home carrier before leaving, but they did not do something correctly (this happened to me twice...and there is nothing they can do while your BB is off of that home network).

4) You have removed your home network SIM and are attempting to use an local SIM, but you did not unlock your BB from it's home network carrier first.

Those are my guesses at the moment based on the information you provided.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
brevitatis
My Device: blackberry curve

Re: BB wont work abroad

Many thanks for taking the trouble to respond. I had not contacted my home carrier (BT) before going abroad - I didn't realise I might have to. I will take it up with BT and hopefully get an answer - thought I'm home now (Rome was great!)