Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BBM Using wifi ?

Further, as had been said many times in this thread, a proper BB-level data plan is required to use BBM at all, regardless of the pathway (e.g., carrier data network versus WiFi) that is used to access BBM. As the OP said way up in post #3, they have no data plan...as such, no access to BBM can function under any circumstances.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
haroldleotangco
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9360
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

Yeah. You really have to have a data plan in order for BBM to work.

I just assumed that all Blackberry users have a data plan...

Also, on a tangent, in our region, blackberry data plan = BIS.

Is this also true for other carriers/region?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
yogeshgabani
My Device: Curve 9220

You are right Mr. Haroldleotangco

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

haroldleotangco wrote:

Also, on a tangent, in our region, blackberry data plan = BIS.

Is this also true for other carriers/region?

BIS is the universal name for the services. However, many carriers use different terms. The key is for users to decide on exactly the services that they desire (e.g., PUSH email, BBM, Social Networking, Web Browsing, etc.) and then talk to their local carrier about how to enable those services onto their BB. Many carriers offer different levels of BIS-enabled plans...e.g., with email but not Social Networking. Each carrier controls the different service levels that they choose to offer to their user base.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
yogeshgabani
My Device: Curve 9220

I agree with you (Sdgardne).

Thank you Mr. Sdgardne

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sruly101
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: orange IL

if i have a blackberry plan in Israel will i be able to use BBM on WIFI in the USA where i dont use there data?

Please use plain text.
rabihyazbik
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Etisalat

before it used to work..my bbm worked on wifi with tat 4 dots sign next to wifi icon....

now this 4dots isnt showing anymore and bbm wont work over the wifi however browser is working fine with the wifi....

I've been facing this issue for the last 3 days ... can anyone help me plz

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rb21-Bahrain
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Viva Bahrain

Am coming late to this party, but am having similar problems.

My Service Plan works fine in country, but when overseas and using WiFi rather than data roaming I sometimes get BIS and sometimes do not. Often I can/cannot connect from the same location on different days.

It seems that my old 9700 sometimes doesn't recognise that it can receive BB services?

Any help much appreciated - thanks.

Middle East traveller
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

rb21-Bahrain wrote:

Am coming late to this party, but am having similar problems.

My Service Plan works fine in country, but when overseas and using WiFi rather than data roaming I sometimes get BIS and sometimes do not. Often I can/cannot connect from the same location on different days.

It seems that my old 9700 sometimes doesn't recognise that it can receive BB services?

Any help much appreciated - thanks.

Hello,

You situation may be tricky as there could be multiple causes:

• You are in a country that limits such access, and that sometimes gets enforced on Wifi (Internet), and other times not.
  • You carrier-level data may be fluctuating in and out, causing confusion to the BB as to what path to try and use.
  • The WiFi service where you are may simply be unreliable.

Those are what I can quickly thing of...unfortunately, intermittent issues are some of the hardest to diagnose, and made even more difficult at a internet distance.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.