Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
damosky
My Device: Curve 8520
Accepted Solution

BBM icon and contacts disappeared

i downloaded a new version of BB Appworld a couple days ago and since then my BBM icon and contacts  have disappeared. I've looked in IM folder, apprlications and downloadswith no luck. I've taken out the battery and restarted the phone so many times and has not worked. When I look in my list of APPS, it is showing that I have BB messenger installed but then when I click on it, all I see is Reviews, Recommend and Screenshots. I have tried to see if I can uninstall it and then download it all over, but I've not been able to do that either. I tried working with my carrier's tech support without luck. Please help!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,952
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BBM icon and contacts disappeared

1. On your homescreen, press the Menu key > SHOW ALL, so that SHOW ALL is checked.

2. Look in EACH folder on your device... Applications, Instant Messengers, Downloads, etc.

3. If still nothing, on your home screen, press and hold the menu key about 2-3 seconds and the App Switcher ribbon will pop up. Your BBM icon is one of those, click on it. Can you use BBM ok now?

If #3 works, you're back to finding BBM in one of your folders or unhiding it.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
damosky

Thanks, but none of them worked.

I just want to delete it from my phone now and I can't even do that.

I click on download, then on blackberry app world. Clicking on My world shows a list of apps I have installed on the phone.

Blackberry messenger is showing up as installed. When I click on it, it shows it's loading then all I see that I can click on are " Reviews, Recommend and Screenshots", and then there is a note about some features of the app. Clicking on the menu key does not have "delete" option which is present on all the other apps.

I will appreciate if you can work me through how to delete the app since its taking up about 3MB of space and I can't use it.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

[ Edited ]
  1. On your BlackBerry, go to Options > Advanced > Applications.
  2. Scroll to BBMessenger and don't click on it, just scroll to it.
  3. Press the Menu key > Delete. Allow it to delete.
  4. After that completes, Do a simple reboot on the BlackBerry in this manner: With the BlackBerry device POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery to reboot.
  5. Now, after rebooted, use your BlackBerry browser to go to this URL: www.blackberry.com/messenger
  6. Click on the link to download it...  don't go back to AppWorld to download, do it direct from that URL.

Let me know what happens.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
damosky

Hi there,

Thank you so much.....I was able to delete BBM. I went to the link to re-install it and found that only  version 6.0.1 was available for download. It is stated that this app is not supported for any BB software device less than 5.0. My phone version is 4.6.1. The version I had downloaded that I had the problem with was BBM version 5.0.2.

I've decided against downloading it at this time until I find out if there's a way to upgrade my phone software version or how to find an earlier version of BBM.

I do appreciate your time.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Yes, you can upgrade your 8520 device to OS5, if you want, post back and I will give you directions for that.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
damosky

Yes, I do want to. I will appreciate that very much........i think I am hooked on BBM.

Please use plain text.
Jagilkat
My Device: Curve

Hi, I have the same issues with BBM icon vanishing. I deleted BBM as instructed went to the URL which took me back to app world which only gives me the re install option. I have reinstalled twice with no success. Help please :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
avanzyl6
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9870

I got a simular problem except mine is with bb application world
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Jagilkat wrote:

Hi, I have the same issues with BBM icon vanishing. I deleted BBM as instructed went to the URL which took me back to app world which only gives me the re install option. I have reinstalled twice with no success. Help please :smileyhappy:

By any chance are you located in India?

Have you gotten this issue resolved, if not please post back for details.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.