Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
MilesComan
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: O2

BBerry Curve 8520 SIM suddenly stops working - "Invalid SIM card"

Hello,

I have had my 8520 Curve for 2 years now and (despite many other problems with it) my SIM card has always been absolutely fine.

Now, I left my phone charging and I went through to pick it up to reply to a text, I noticed that I had no signal (just says SOS in red) and the error message "Invalid SIM card" had appeared at the top.

I tried resetting my phone etc and everytime it says the same message and asks me if I want to unlock it, and for the appropriate MEP code.

Why would my phone suddenly not recognise my SIM card, it's not new and I've never taken it out from the phone in 2 years?

Also, if I have to ring up somebody and get it unlocked, I will resent having to pay considering there's nothing I have done to my phone or SIM and it's decided to do this by itself!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: BBerry Curve 8520 SIM suddenly stops working - "Invalid SIM card"

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Sometimes, SIMs just go bad...and you would need to talk to the SIM provider to see about replacement.

Sometimes, the SIM card reader just goes bad...and you'd need to seek formal hardware support for that (if you have warranty, under those terms).

Sometimes, just rebooting the BB can clear it (I can't tell, if by your words of "resetting my phone etc", what you actually attempted).

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MilesComan
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: O2

Under my girlfriend's guidance, I cleaned the sim and inside of my phone with a very lightly damp cloth, waited 5 minutes and tried again.

This seems to have done the job, at least for now. If it happens again then I'm sorry to say I will probably get a different make of smartphone.

Not been overly impressed with my blackberry but it's not all doom and gloom - impressed by your prompt helpful reply to my post!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

I should have thought of that as well...though I never recommend any liquids near any electronic devices. Rather, re-seating the SIM card a few times may scratch away any built up corrosion and allow it to properly connect again. Other times, using a standard pencil eraser on the contacts can help as well (being sure to blow out any residual eraser materials).

Please note also that this particular issue is, by no means, unique to BlackBerry...every electronic device could suffer the same fate. But, if there are other reasons you'd rather be on a different platform, then by all means shift! In our free market, with such a plethora of choices, there is no one device that is perfect for everyone. But, everyone should have for themselves the device that best meets their unique set of needs and tolerance levels.

But, in any event, I'm glad you got it working again, and I'm glad that we, here on this user-to-user community, could be of assistance.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.