Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
cmarks96
My Device: curve 9320
Accepted Solution

BBid problem

my 9320 does not recognise my BBID. I have tried password reset, which does not work. I am now up to 9 attempts and the next attempt will lock me out. Any ideas what I can do. I can't seem to find out what to do on the blackberry site, all the hints keep telling me to change my password which isn'y working. I get the error message 'enter the username associated with this smart phone' . How can I tell what is my correct user name with my phone?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: BBid problem

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Yes, you are in a pickle indeed. BB's are highly secure, and the human element is crucial to the success of that security. With what you've described, it does indeed sound like your BB ID credentials are what the problem is (as opposed to, e.g., the device lock password). See this for helpful information:

• KB24157 BlackBerry ID lockout behavior

In essence, you created these credentials, and only you therefore can know what they are. They consist of your name (first, last), a screen name (you chose that), a username (the email address you associated with the BBID account), a recovery question, and of course a password. If you do not know this information, then it's the human component of the security that is the root of the problem that now exists. Here is perhaps another helpful KB:

• KB28429 "Please enter the username associated with this smartphone" appears when logging into BlackBerry App World with a BlackBerry ID using a BlackBerry 7 smartphone

But, I must ask...is this a brand new (to you) device? Or has it been working fine in the past, but this request for credentials has suddenly popped up? The details about how you got to this point will help us guide you further.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cmarks96

Thanks for the information. We have tried what is suggested in KB24157 and KB.....61 but to no avail. KB28429 describes the situation perfectly but we cannot remember what the precise username was. It may be that when it was entered, there was a spelling mistake and hence what we think it should be is incorrect.

Are we correct in thinking that if we do a security wipe, this will allow us to start again. We realise that we would lose everything on the phone.

In answer to your other question, this is a brand new phone, and was being set up for use.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

cmarks96 wrote:

It may be that when it was entered, there was a spelling mistake and hence what we think it should be is incorrect.

If that is the case, then that BB ID account is likely lost for good...all activities require access to the email account, and the email address being the same as the username, if there is an error, then there's no way to receive the necessary validation emails so as to continue using this BB ID.

cmarks96 wrote:

Are we correct in thinking that if we do a security wipe, this will allow us to start again. We realise that we would lose everything on the phone. 

Yes...that is indeed what you MUST do in order to change the actual BB ID that is associated with the BB:

• KB26694 How to change the BlackBerry ID on a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry smartphone

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cmarks96

following the instructions on KB26694

1. Select Options.
  2. Select Device.
  3. Select Application Management.
  4. Select BlackBerry Identity

In Application Management, there is no Blackberry Identity to pick!! the phone shows 7.1.0 system software, app world, device analyser, maps, mesenger, protect.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

That section of the KB is for BB OS 6 ("BlackBerry 6")...you need to scroll down further...to the OS 7 section.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cmarks96

Yes, thank you. We are wiping at present, it appears to be reloading again now. Once everything is reloaded, do we start again as if it is a new phone.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
cmarks96

many thanks, the problem seems to have been resolved. Thank you for your help and advice.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome...enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
sarahr138
My Device: blackberry curve 9520

i have this same problem except mine is using my other email address.. when you security wipe it do you lose all your phone book contacts or do you take your sim card out first

Please use plain text.