Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: Battery Drain On Curve

origamigirl wrote:
Hey Smarty - I am with you - how do we get the attention of Blackberry to fix this problem? ..... And I mean no offense to all that have provided outside the box solutions (thank you) but I have paid to much money for this device to try messing with its software myself.

hello,

to get the attention of RIM people... just contact them :smileyhappy: and open a ticket.

The community forum is just a community of volunteers.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/contact/

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Strawberry62
My Device: Not Specified

My BB is thru T-Mobile.  I had a similar problem that appears to be solved, for now, but shutting off the WiFi feature and the signal indicator light that kept flashing all the time.  I'm not sure why I need WiFi all the time, but doing thiese things has helped.  Be sure you use your "mute" key atop the BB so that you don't accidently turn it on while in your pocket. 
Please use plain text.
Contributor
amathis
My Device: Curve 8310

How can I get rid of PTT?  I have deleted it from the applications, but it is still there when I do alt-Curvy arrow.  How can I get rid of it?
Please use plain text.
Developer
eaoliver
My Device: 7230, 8700, 8820, 9000

There's a tool in the BlackBerry development environment called JavaLoader.  You can use that to remove the files.  Here's the commands to do it:

JavaLoader.exe -u erase -f net_rim_bb_phone_ptt_app-3 net_rim_bb_phone_ptt_app-2 net_rim_bb_phone_ptt_app-1 net_rim_bb_phone_ptt_app KnJCDE KnJCDE-1

Earl

Earl Oliver
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Podewils
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: KOODO MOBILE

Hi there,

I have had my Blackberry for several months and I loved it up until this past Saturday when suddenly the battery started to drain rapidly even when I am not using it and even when it is turned off.  It drains at a rate of about 10% - 15% per hour - on or off.  It's completely useless this way.  I have nothing unusual running on it.  I don't have a data plan so no e mail, not Facebook, no Twitter, nothing.  I use BBM and occasionally browse using my home internet.  I have gone on line and followed all the tips offered for preserving battery life - turned backlight to 70%, making sure browser is not left on a web site etc, etc, etc.  I thought it was the battery at first and traded with my husband and my phone killed his battery just as fast.  My battery works fine in his phone.  I have been searching the issue on line and have found countless instances of people having the same issue but I have not been able to find a solution.  I am amazed that there has not been enough complaints to warrant an investigation into this issue!  Either way I am stumped.  If there is anyone with a suggestion please help!! 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

I suggest to turn off the radio network of your phone and let it on. Does it still drains the battery after a couple of hours?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Podewils

Hi there,

Turned all connections off as suggested and battery still down 10% after less than an hour.  I just don't get it.

Thanks anyways

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

your test proves that the battery drain is not due to a bad network coverage. It is conclusive in itself.

The three other possibilities are :
- your battery is defective (not the case thanks to your test on your friends' device)
- your device is defective (I hope it's not)
- you have one or several applications that work too much on your device.

Let's test item 3. Go on the Applications list in the options, and there are three filters : core applications, addons, third party. I know it is a chore but please list here all the applications in the "addons" and the "third party" filters.

For your information:
- the core applications are part of the OS (you cannot delete them)
- the addons applications are applications designed by RIM, like the Google Talk application or the Facebook app.
- the third party applications are designed by a third party company, like IM+ or WhatsApp.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Podewils

Ok so the filters I have found in Application Management are Required, Optional and there is a separate place where I found 3rd Party Applications.  I am assuming these are the same just titled differently so under Optional there was Google - that's it.  There was nothing under 3rd Party Applications.

I did try one other thing.  I switched the SIM cards in my phone and my husband's phone.  With his SIM in my phone my phone only drained 5% in almost 5 hours.  Much improved over the 50% minimum it has been draining lately.  His phone did not drain at all in the same time with my SIM in it however his phone is locked so it wasn't really a fair test I don't think.  Since I put my SIM back in my phone (5:00 PM) it has drained 40% (it is now 9:49 PM).  Is it a coincidence or is it possible it is my SIM and not my phone causing all the trouble??  Not sure if that's a good thing or not. 

Anyways please let me know what you think.  Thank-you for your help!

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

you have thought of something I did not think of at all ! :smileyhappy: I think what you can try is find a colleague at work that uses the same carrier and ask them to switch SIM card for half a day and see if the conclusion is the same.

If it is the same, you will know the culprit is the SIM card. I suggest you to call the Koodo mobile helpdesk and ask for a new SIM card (with the same phone number).

Please use plain text.