Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
ctdeveloper
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Battery Drain On Curve

Same for me. On the 8330, Alt+Return locks the keyboard.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
origamigirl

I agree with you Steve - I think RIM should provide a risk free solution for this issue.  If it isn't the PTT app then something else is draining my battery....this is my third blackberry I had one of the originals and then a pearl and now have bought the curve for my personal use.....none of my other berries had the battery drain problem. 

I saw a consumer story on Good Morning America about a website that gets attention from big companies ..... it is called twitter.com (I think).  My next step is to figure out if one of the moderators of this forum has any suggestions if they don't respond then I will go to twitter.com.  

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

[ Edited ]

mandograss wrote:
I'm a newbie, I've had my 8310 for about a month. So anytime I open an app. I will need to always hit menu and close each time I use it or it will continue to run in the background? in otherwords if I open my calendar to install a date I will have to click menu first and then close? Please pardon my igorance. I'm running 4.5 OS AT&T

The following statements are true :
- whenever you open an application, it remains opened until you close it.
- Whenever an application is opened, it eats battery.
- when you're on an application, and hit the red key, the application goes to background. Especially, it is still opened.
- when you're on an application, and go to the menu to close it, the application closes.
- when you're on an application, and hit the escape key (the curved arrow), the application closes (except for the browser)

That being said, let's imagine you have always used the escape key, and you have many opened applications, how can you know which one ?
=> hit Alt-Esc. It calls the Applications ribbon. There are some icons containing :
- the applications that are opened
- five applications that always appear (whether they are opened or not) : Blackberry Messenger, Phone logs, Home screen, Browser and Messages

you have to go to each application and close it (menu >> close, or Escape key). For the remaining five, I suggest you to do so one time. At last, you should see in the application ribbon no more than 5 applications. Then you know all applications are closed.
Message Edited by Xandrex on 07-31-2008 09:07 PM

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

there are reasons for the battery to drain.

first is the radio network. If you're someplace where the GSM signal or EDGE signal is weak (few bars in the topright angle of your home screen), then your Blackberry will struggle to get a good connection with the phone network. tha's batttery drain. Ask the people around you if they have the same issue.

second, is the Bluetooth network. For most people, it is not useful except when you really want to do something with it. Go to the ptions and shut the bluetooth network.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

for people that open applications not on purpose... they can point a finger at Blackberry designers, or they can hide the icons of the applications they never use. On my blackberry Curve 8310, I use the BB Dimension Zen and there are only three icons on my home screen : media, network, and a folder in which I have put all my other applications.

Oscar Wilde said "I can resist everything, except temptation". You do the same : move the icons so there out of reach and the applications won't launch on random.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ilsb2m

when i use the alt return, it never closes the applications. they stay there on that list....

suggestions? 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex

[ Edited ]
  • Alt-Enter does nothing.
  • Alt-Escape opens the application ribbon (think "Alt-Tab" )
  • Escape closes the current application (think "Alt-F4" )
  • red button reduces the current application (think "Reduce window" )
Message Edited by Xandrex on 08-01-2008 12:14 AM

Please use plain text.
Developer
eaoliver
My Device: 7230, 8700, 8820, 9000

[ Edited ]

Here's the best solution.... delete the dumb application!

You'll need to install the JDK from here:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/downloads/jde.jsp

which includes a RIM tool called JavaLoader. Instructions on using this tool to remove the PTT application and other crapware can be found here:

http://blizzard.cs.uwaterloo.ca/eaoliver/misc.html

Earl

Message Edited by eaoliver on 07-31-2008 11:20 PM
Earl Oliver
Please use plain text.
Developer
eaoliver

Get the JavaLoader utility packaged with the BlackBerry JDE.  You can remove it yourself.  See my earlier post.
Earl Oliver
Please use plain text.
Developer
eaoliver

[ Edited ]

I wrote a really simple application for visualizing the current battery level. I do a lot of experimentation with WiFi and Bluetooth and found it useful to see exactly how various usage patterns consumed battery. You would be surprised how different activities consume battery power.

The application is free and available at:

http://blizzard.cs.uwaterloo.ca/eaoliver/past_projects.html#BlackBerryPowerMeasurement

I have provided the source code and an installer to allow you to download the application over the air onto your BlackBerry. The application logs your battery level to:

//store/home/user/ if you do not have an SD card installed

or

/SDCard/ if you do have an SD card.

If you don't care about the data, you can easily delete the file(s) it creates by going into the file explore within the media player.

Earl

Message Edited by eaoliver on 07-31-2008 11:18 PM
Message Edited by eaoliver on 07-31-2008 11:19 PM
Earl Oliver
Please use plain text.