Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
AndreS1319
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: 02

Battery Issues

Hiya, I have a Curve 9300 and as of this morning once the phone was unplugged, it discharged the battery within an hour and during that hour the device became very hot.

I plugged it in again, and other than the red indicator light flashing on for about 10 -20 seconds, there was no response from the device.

I replaced the battery and the device turned on instantly and registered as 3/4 full on the home screen.

About 20 minutes later, the phone displayed a message saying that the "battery is drained, shutting down handheld" whilst saying the battery was more than half full.

After I plugged it in again, the indicator light began to flash 4 times, that is flash pause, flash, flash flash, pause.

After pulling out the battery and reinserting it, it turned on again, with the battery registering on the home screen as drained.

On the device status menu, the phone registers the battery at 1% and has taken about 25 minutes to reach 6%...

I am at a complete loss, since the battery has been replaced and can't imagine what is the problem, unless it is the device itself.

PS. I must add that this phone was purchased from what seems now as a shady store in Dadeland mall.

A Bold 9780 which was bought at the same time, began to experience problems and at latest it would not turn on unless it was plugged in and once unplugged it would die rapidly.

Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
f0xx386
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: MTN - SOUTH AFRICA

Re: Battery Issues

Hello

Remove the battery first, no without inserted connect the charger and now replace battery.

Leave it for 8 hours atleast in this case but every 2 hours or so remove the battery and replace it WITHOUT REMOVING the charger.

The battery is in a coma like state it will take many hours revive it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AndreS1319

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply. Is it normal for, at any stage of this process, for there to be absolutely no discernible response from the device? including the led? as well as being the case with both the old and new battery?

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
f0xx386

Hello

Well I bought a brand new 8520 in 2010, about 3 months of use, one night I put to charge and next morning, dead, no response from it, no led nothing. The above procedure worked.

Its important to remember that a bootup takes a lot of juice in the 2-4 minute start up it does. Now if your battery was already showing red and the phone had already shut off radio and try a battery pull with the battery in this state is a NO NO.....you are asking for trouble.

In my opinion if the battery does not enough power for boot up and dies suddendly in the middle, it can lead to corruption of the os.

Speculating a bit more on the fact that it shuts radio off when low battery its reached, an extension of this feature maybe it won't allow boot up to occur in this case when a battrery pull is done to prevent os corruption.

With that being said it wouldn't explain why it does that if was charge the whole night and the battery by now should be full, so why no booting up seen.

Honestly its hard to say......a power surge maybe.....then considering how this affects battery cycle memory......leading to a wrong registering of a dead battery as full and the charger although connected thinks the battery is full after the surge and shuts power delivery completely.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AndreS1319

I'm honestly beginning to think the phone is shot.

the battery does not show red, nor does it turn off the radio. the battery shows full and then says drained, without turning off the radio.

In any event, I'm going to head back to the repair place that I got the battery to see if they have any solution. 

Their battery had juice in it when i put it in. I can't except that a battery in that charged state could discharge in 20 minutes or so, to the point that the device has to shut off.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
f0xx386

Hello

Is that an official blackberry battery?

If yes, then try removing the battery and now hold down "end call" and now insert the battery, the led show be red, now press "call" for 3 seconds and press "end call" again...continue until hour glass appears signalling the phones power management is system has been reset....and see its response now.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AndreS1319

Hi, yes the replacement was also an official blackberry battery.

I did try that, the LED did not respond at all. I tried continuing without the LED and there was also no response.

I took it back to the shop and they did not know what was wrong with it after running the basic tests. They did suggest sending it to an engineer, however the phone has not been the most reliable in the past, and I was offered £30 for it by Phones 4 U, despite it being non-functional.

Another tech shop also could not find an issue and did not seem to be sure that sending it to be checked would yield any result.

I'm now using a new Curve 9320.

I appreciate all the help.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Ferial25
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: Vodacom

Im expericing the same problem n its depressing!

Please use plain text.