Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800, v. 6.0.0.246
Accepted Solution

Battery draining way too fast

Had my Curve for a couple of years now. In just the last couple of weeks, it's starting to drain a battery in 4 hours or so with moderate use. And it's the same whether I'm using the old or one of my new batteries, so it's obviously not the battery itself. Even if I don't use it, it'll go to red in 6-8 hours, where it used to hold a charge for a couple of days, even with heavy use. I've checked the terminals and they're clean.

Any thoughts?

Bob
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Re: Battery draining way too fast

Hold the menu key down to show all running applications.

You should have at around 4 apps running. Home Screen, Messages, Phone, Browser.

When you first buy it, a lot of options are turned on. Close apps when done. Also, go to options/advance options and turn lots of things down or off. Screen , auto off at night, etc. turn wifi off when not using.

Some free apps are bad at closing... I just uninstall them.

I noticed a great difference. Google chat is notorious for chewing up my battery. left Alt right shift - del button to reset blackberry.

Oh, also, take an eraser to clean battery contacts. when half charged just charge it (lithium). Things will be seem to hold a charge much longer.

BlackBerry Curve 8530 OS version 5.0.0.734
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8330

Check the apps running as suggested above. Have you installed any new ones in the past couple of weeks?

I also use the standby function to save power when not using the phone: hold the mute key, use an app called autostandby to do it automatically, or use the included leather case (has a magnet to put phone in standby)

You could try resetting the battery meter by draining the battery to 15% and then fully recharging. I find it is useful to do this every few months to ensure the meter is correct.

Let us know how it goes.

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Contributor

Good suggestions, but a couple of points:

--Holding the menu key down only gives me the menu. Doesn't show me running apps.

--I'd already used an eraser to clean the terminals. That shouldn't be an issue.

--Haven't used the case in almost a year. While it would probably help by putting it in standby, the BB was doing quite well until a couple of weeks ago, so something's changed recently.

--As far as I know, the only app I've added/changed in the last couple of weeks is replacing the old Google Search with the new Google Mobile App. Hope that's not the problem, since I really don't want to delete my Google. Other than that, don't think I've changed anything.

Finding the running apps is probably my best bet to track what's wrong, but I need a better instruction on getting to it.

Bob
Contributor

Okay, discovered that holding down Alt-Escape gives me the running applications. All I've got open are the standards -- Messenger, Messages, Home, Browser, Call Log. It's also got PTT open, which is odd since I've never activated it, but I don't suspect that's the problem.

Any other thoughts?

Bob
Forums Advisor III

What is PTT? Any app running in the background will generally consume memory and battery as well. Some apps will exit completely when you press the return or hangup keys, but others need to be exited using the menu and click on "close" or "exit".

Another consideration is that poor reception drains the battery very quickly. For example, I used to see shorter battery life when leaving my network connection on while in the subway/metro. The battery life improved when I turned off network connections during my commute. The phone keeps actively searching for a signal and this consumes the battery significantly.

Any other options that aren't being used e.g. bluetooth should also be turned off when not in use to save battery life.

I still recommend the standby function as it doesn't affect incoming messages or calls and boosts battery life.

Did you try resetting the battery meter as suggested?

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
Contributor

I'm waiting for the battery to hit 15% to reset the meter. Good idea on that one. Reception is excellent, but that doesn't seem to have much effect either way.

PTT=Push to Talk. Option with AT&T service that I don't use. But it seems to stay on as an available service regardless.

I'll try turning off the bluetooth when I'm not using it. Another good idea. I'll see what effect that has. Thanks.

Bob
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Also, you might want to just buy a new battery for 20 bucks since 2 years You might just investigate the ppt app / bluetooth. Just make sure you sign out in chat apps.
BlackBerry Curve 8530 OS version 5.0.0.734
Contributor

Bought a new extended life battery 6 months ago, and when that started fading, I thought it just wasn't that great a battery, and bought another OEM one. All the batteries act exactly the same way.

Signed out of bluetooth 3 hours ago. Battery's lost over half it's charge since then. So that wasn't it. I'm beginning to think it's not a software/config issue that's draining the battery. But that something's physically wrong with the phone.

Bob
Forums Advisor III

The PTT may be an issue. Check with your service provider if it can be disabled/removed from your device.

As a last measure you could try reloading the device:

1. Backup phone data: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB12487

2. Backup 3rd party apps: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-back-up-3rd-party-applications-53201/

3. Perform a clean installation of your OS: www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB11320

4. Restore database backup (only important ones e.g. address book): http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10339

5. Restore the apps backed up in step 2.

Kijana
Please remember to: