Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
RickNY
My Device: Not Specified

Battery too low for radio use

When the battery level falls below 15% on the Blackberry, the radio automatically shuts off.   Can someone tell me why you cant turn the radio back on again until the charge level is over 15% again, even if you supply external power to the device?   Also, when the radio shuts off below this level, I have found that I have to manually go back in and turn the radio back on again after the charge level is sufficient -- sometimes I forget to do this after putting the phone on the charger and I end up missing calls, SMS, etc.

Why wont an external power source allow the radio to remain on?

Thanks,

Rick

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Battery too low for radio use

Hi and welcome to the forums!

when the charge falls below 15% the blackberry goes into survival mode, and turns off all functions not

considered "life support" the radio being one. Unfortunately the switches/options do not automatically

recognize the new power level (not connected) and do not reset the options. You will have to

reotption the radio when this happens. You may want to check the age of your battery and

replace. Here is a link about power management

http://www.blackberrynews.com/2008/05/20/battery-use-tips-for-your-maximum-battery-life/

If you need more info please ask!  If not please resolve the thread using the options by the Kudos’ star, Just place the check in the Post that answered your question, Thanks  
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RickNY

Thanks... Its a problem Ive always had with my BB devices -- 8703e, 8830, 8330... Its not a case of the battery not holding charge.. Just some days the device gets a lot of use and by the time I can throw it back in the charger, it has fallen below that level.

I think this is really something that should be corrected in future software if the device is on external power.. Theres no reason for the radio to be disabled if it has an external power source.

Rick

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Sorry, that is the way it is designed;

If you need more info, let me know.

Other wise, please take a second and resolve the thread, OK?

Thanks

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Well when the radio is on it consumes battery power. So the BlackBerry was just designed that way - instead of draining more battery life, it gives you a chance to get to a power source to recharge it. It's also designed to have to manually turn back on (when it reaches a high enough charge)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RickNY

jmrmb80 wrote:

Well when the radio is on it consumes battery power. So the BlackBerry was just designed that way - instead of draining more battery life, it gives you a chance to get to a power source to recharge it. It's also designed to have to manually turn back on (when it reaches a high enough charge)

I understand that, and I understand how it is implemented.. The intent of my post was to post a suggestion that may catch the attention of RIM that it ought to be changed.  Above all,  I need access to the wireless network as a priority over battery charge.. If it takes longer to charge the battey because the radio is turned back on while on external power, so be it.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Hi,

Rim this is their toll free #: 877-255-2377

Thanks.

Please resolvev the thread, ok?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Contributor
georgejost

"That's the way it was designed".

Hi,  I'm a software designer. No offense the user was saying the way it was designer was a bug.

Before you tell me that the software can't tell me where its connected to a power device or not, please explain the little icon at the top that is activated when the device is plugged in to the power outlet!!!

:smileywink:.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

georgejost wrote:

"That's the way it was designed".

Hi,  I'm a software designer. No offense the user was saying the way it was designer was a bug.

Before you tell me that the software can't tell me where its connected to a power device or not, please explain the little icon at the top that is activated when the device is plugged in to the power outlet!!!

:smileywink:.

Hi -- just to clarify..

These forums are a user-to-user support channel, not a user-to-RIM conduit. As such, it is unlikely that they will see what the poster was suggesting. Hence, the further suggestion to the poster of a way that they could send their suggestion into RIM. BTW I have also heard that they accept such via email to bbsuggestions@rim.com.

Best!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
rsreth

Great- have had the same issue with my  pearl- battery gets low and I cannot use the phone for 10 - 20 minutes till it recharges. Too bad no solution and company doesnt see it as inconvenient......

Glad I read these posts - can anyone confirm if this is the case with other BB phones such as Storm2?  Getting ready to buy another phone....

I would hope BB would check the forums- great way to get customer feedback.....is this a dinosaur company at the point were IBM was where it saw no reason for a personal PC?  

Please use plain text.