Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Blackberry 8310 Curve randomly deletes text/sms messages and phone logs

Why does this keep happening to me?

There are times that my phone goes over a week without it happening and then there are times like today it has happened three times.

I will have maybe 5 ot 6 text messages in my inbox and maybe 2 or 3 emails and I get a phone call and POOF the text messages and phone logs are gone!

I have repeatedly lost important text messages and numbers from my call log.

The tech support excuse for it is that I have too many messages in my inbox which causes it, but 6 sms messages and 3 emails is too much?

I have tried everything (updating the desktop software, updating all of the settings NOT to delete messages until i delete them, hard booting my phone once a day, etc..) and it still does it.

This also used to happen with my Blackberry Pearl.

If I can't get it resolved, I will just switch to the iPhone.  I can deal with the randomly dropped calls, but constantly loosing my call logs and text messages is BEYOND frustrating and Blackberry tech support has been no help!.

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Blackberry 8310 Curve randomly deletes text/sms messages and phone logs

I have had this exact same problem and came here looking an answer. Any help?
New Contributor

Do you have a memory card?

If no, do you have a lot of pictures and/or other media files stored on the phone's memory vs. on a data card?

BBs will dump call logs, and read messaes, etc. when they are short on memory. 

Get a memory card, and make sure all your pictures and other media files are stored on that, and free up device memory. 

Forums Advisor III
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

To DCmuseumtechie and Tennessee. Please do the following click on options and then on status. Please post the file free and file total numbers. When your phone runs too low on memory things that the blackberry feel are "unimportant" like texts and call logs will automatically be deleted to save space and keep the phone performing. Once you two send the file numbers and we can take a look at them, I can give you some tips on how to increase your memory.
~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!

file free  = 19161967 Bytes

file total = 83623936 Bytes

Thanks! 

Forums Advisor III
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

Yeah, you are really low on free memory. Try these. 

Open your browser and click the menu key, then on options and click cache operations, then clear each option, then push the back key and it will say "cleaning memory'

Also when you close any of your apps, just pressing the red hang-up key does not close the app, it keeps it running in the background.  To close them, click on the menu key and select close or exit.

If you have a lot of third party apps on your phone or games they will take up a lot of memory, get rid of any you don;t use.

A memory card is good for storing pictures and music, but please know it only stores media, not apps.

After all this pull your battery out with the phone ON.  Leave it out for thirty seconds, put it back in and allow 1-3 minutes for the phone to reboot.  Then go back to options and click status and send me the file free and file total numbers again.

~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

DCmuseum,

Hi,

You have low free memory left on your device.

Do you have a lot of third party applications on your BB weather, icall,bbalerts etc?

I do not know your experience level, so if you know this I'm sorry but please read and let me

know if this applies.

Most people close the applications by pressing the escape or red key. This does not close the applications.

Each application has a CLOSE option. For instance if you are in the calendar hit the menu key (spotted key) and scroll down to the bottom CLOSE is listed. Go through each application and press close. Go into the browser press menu and options select cache operations clear all categories and hit escape it will say cleaning memory.

Go to options - security - memory cleaning - enable it. The BB will now clean memory when idle for 5 minutes.

you will have an icon on you screen for memory cleaning make sure you press it. Make sure you use the CLOSE button each time you are done with an application.

Read the link below and follow each step that Tanzim outlines,

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&message.id=9225#M9225

If you follow these steps and keep up with your memory your phone will operate smoothly.

Please let us know if you need help with any of the steps.

Thanks

Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-07-2008 11:58 AM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

DO NOT REMOVE THE BATTERY!

Contact Blackberry Tech Support and tell them you need assistance with this issue.

IT IS NOT A MEMORY ISSUE

It is a corrupt database issue on the phone that only Blackberry can fix.

If you remove the battery, you will be SCREWED until the problem happens again.

Call 1-877-255-2377 and let them help you.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searchEntry.do?languages=&rwTarget=%2FrfPlayerWidget.do&searchMode=Gu...

Here is their message thread regarding the problem.

CALL BLACKBERRY and tell them that the database corruption on your phone is making your phone think it is out of memeory when it actually isn't. 

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Dc,

The link you printed is a link to the BB database, did you mean to publish a discussion article?
You are the first person in the 6900 posts that I have read that has heard of a database problem.

Could you give us some more technical details?

Thanks,

Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-07-2008 12:04 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor

Yes...

I spoke to AT&T Tech support for 20 minutes and after me finally getting to the point of about to cuss him out, he finally gave me the direct ## to contact Blackberry for free support.

1-877-255-2377

I told them what AT&T did and the woman said, "OH NO!"

She told me the next time it happens, DO NOT REMOVE THE BATTERY, and call them ASAP from another phone so they can search to figure out which database is corrupted.

She assured me that it IS NOT an actual memory issue.  The corrupt database confuses the phone to think it is running low on memory, when it really isn't. 

It is not a cache memory or cookie issue or browser history issue or a picture storage issue, etc..that AT&T claims it is.

It is a corrupt database issue that only Blackberry can fix.

I am an IT/Computer geek and know quite a bit about computers, but I was not going to follow those steps.  I will wait until it happens again so that Blackberry can fix the database problem (which they say will resolve the issue permanantly).

I put that 877 # in my phone book cause I know **bleep** well it will happen again.

SO PLEASE....DESPITE WHAT EVERYONE ELSE IS TELLING YOU, DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT REMOVE YOUR BATTERY!

WHEN IT HAPPENS AGAIN, CALL BLACKBERRY AT 1-877-255-2377 AND LET THEM KNOW YOU ARE HAVING A DATABASE ISSUE ON YOUR PHONE THAT IS MAKING YOUR PHONE THINK IT IS RUNNING LOW ON MEMORY WHEN IT REALLY ISN'T.