Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Developer
apjustin
My Device: 9700 Storm
Accepted Solution

Blackberry 8520 OS Version

Hi,

Can anyone tell me which is the OS Version of Blackberry 8520 releasing in India?

If it's lower than 5.0, can we upgrade it to 5.0 or greater versions?

I have developed an application which will run only in BB phones of OS 5.0 or later since it's using SQLite

I wanna know whether or not my application will run in 8520.

Please help me !!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Justin Aloor

Feel free to press the Kudos Button to thank the user who helped you.
Please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry 8520 OS Version

Who's the carrier in India, or are there mutltiple carriers with the 8520 in India?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Developer
apjustin
My Device: 9700 Storm

Vodafone, Airtel and Reliance are the known Blackberry carriers in India. (There may be more)

Can the OS in 8520 be upgraded to 5.0 ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Justin Aloor

Feel free to press the Kudos Button to thank the user who helped you.
Please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

apjustin wrote:

Vodafone, Airtel and Reliance are the known Blackberry carriers in India. (There may be more)

Can the OS in 8520 be upgraded to 5.0 ?

Yes, the device can be upgraded to OS 5.0, even if Voda, Airtel and Reliance do not initially offer OS 5 as one of their own upgrades. But no one knows here or can say, what those carriers might do in the future.

Device operating system releases are "released" by specific carriers once they have certified and trained their support techs, but still, you are able to load to any carrier's same model by following the instructions below.

See the link below, for the download and simple installation instructions.

First locate the latest OS 5 release for the device from any carrier:

The latest officially 5.0 OS for the 8520 offered by any carrier is 5.0.0.822:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=577BCC914F9E55D5E4E4F82F9F00E7D4

Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion.

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
vanderfocus
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8900
My Carrier: Movistar

Hello everybody,

I wanted to ask something that really intriguishes me. It's been several months since we' started developing software for Blackberry, and we always try to test our software in different devices/with different software versions...Somehow, we can't understand how software versions are released from RIM... concerning their numbering. Does anybody know the difference between build, plaftorm version, software version... "Package Version" and "Applications". Normally when you surf blackberry sites to upgrade your device you can download a certain build described in the following fashino (taken from a real example for BB9700 and AT&T carrier):

Package Version: 5.0.0.1607
Consisting of:
  • Applications: 5.0.0.979
  • Software Platform: 5.1.0.177
  • File name: 9700M_PBr5.0.0_rel1607_PL5.1.0.177_A5.0.0.979_AT_amp_T.exe
  • File size: 134.67MB

My question is what does each version numbering mean? As I could find in the API, you have two methods "getPlatformVersion" and "getSoftwareVersion" but as I don't know the difference between "software" and "platform" I don't know which one I should invoke.

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry if the answer is somehow obvious, or if it's already been given.

Cheers.

Please use plain text.