Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: giff gaff

Blackberry 8520 problems with restoring back up file

Hi All, This is my first time using the blackberry forums I have hope you can help me find a resolution to this problem. I have a blackberry 8520 I have an old backup file from June 2012 which I restored because it should have the old text messages I want back on my phone the problem is that trying to restore this gave an error message half way through the restore "unable to restore database" after trying this a few times I then updated the Blackberry Desktop Manager to latest version and it now lets me restore the backup file. The problem now is that it does not have the messages that should be there, and also the messages that are in my inbox have an overview as normal but selecting it displays a blank screen with no message history also another issue is that I have the icons on my home screen showing I have a unread sms messages but I am unable to view these in my inbox they are not there. I do not understand what is happening here this should be a simple restore but there is a number of issues here can anyone advise me how to go about fixing this Eagerly waiting for a response Kind Regards
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Blackberry 8520 problems with restoring back up file

If there is a problem with that backup file, it may not be possible to get the data in question back.  Did you backup your device before doing the restore today?  If so, I recommend reverting to that backup. 

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do;jsessionid=E51BB76D6E5E650F338FD01DD7C94711?...

is a good guide for restores.

Do you use blackberry protect?  Tt backs up text messages.  The link for it is in my signature if you're not using it.

My Device: 8520
My Carrier: giff gaff

Hi thank you for you reply This is frustrating I made a backup today before i tried to restore to previous version now I have done the same as the guide for restores link you have provided and specifically chosen to restore sms messages databse from the recent back up I created today this has run successfully and I get the message "Restore complete, the items from the backup file have been successfully restored it is now safe to disconnect your device" but when I do this and go to my phone it does not show these messages this is really worryng me now in my inbox the messages are not there and as I previously said I can see a list of old messages with the message sender with a preview of the message but when I select it shows a blank screen, and also have the message icon on the homescreen with 2 indicating I have two messages but cannot find these in the inbox, Im getting really worried now, Any advice
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Have you tried doing a full restore from that same backup file?