Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
janey4567
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry 8900 - battery discharged fully, now won't turn on, no LED, nothing!

Hi - probably a silly question that will just get replies saying - it's broken!

But let the battery fully discharge for first time since getting phone just over a month ago - plugged it into mains charger to charge it that night, screen lit up white with a battery charging symbol in middle - thought, "i'll turn it on so I can check emails etc. while it charges" and so pressed the 'on/power' button - nothing happened, screen went black, LED light went out ....

pressed a few other keys including the lock and mute keys on the very top - thinking maybe the power on button isn't the power on button after all !!! ....

nothing happened

tried the car charger thinking the charger wasn't working maybe

nothing happened

tried the usb charger

nothing

took the battery out, put it back in

nothing!

it's an almost new phone - what's wrong with it!!!??

has anyone had the same problem - might it just be a dud battery or would the led still come on if that was the case??

going to try and get to express CPW centre after work today so want some ammunition if it doesn't really need to go off for repair - can't be without it for 10 working days!! need it for work!!!

thanks for any help!

J

New Contributor
Uncleraspberry

Re: Blackberry 8900 - battery discharged fully, now won't turn on, no LED, nothing!

I'd like to know if you sort this problem out. I got a brand new 8900 three weeks ago and let the battery fully discharge with the same result as you! As the phone was brand new I had it swapped for another brand new one. Guess what. . . Two days ago the battery fully discharged. I cleaned the battery terminals and it sprang into life again. Two days later -fully discharged again. Now it won't turn on no matter what I do.

Try cleaning the battery terminals with a cotton bud.

It's looking like the solution to MY problem is to go back to my old Sony Ericsson. . .

New Contributor
janey4567

Re: Blackberry 8900 - battery discharged fully, now won't turn on, no LED, nothing!

Hi there - not sure if it will be of much help as mine seemed to resolve itself through 'magic'!  Neither I nor CWP support could explain.

Basically, i'd left it all day on Monday in my bag while i went to work and back .. feeling fed up and wondering how i'd last without it for at least 2 weeks (mine was only a few days older than 28 days!!!)..

Got home and phoned CPW Geek support - they put me on callback so 'just for fun' while I waited that evening I got out the mains charger and plugged the phone in again!  The bleedin' red LED came on within a few seconds and the screen lit up with the charging symbol!!

I placed it gingerly down next to me - the red LED went out again - I groaned - but the screen stayed on .... I waited ..... it charged!! the home screen appeared a short while later .... all working again - all settings still there, emails from work and hotmail all present and correct!

Just before I went to bed, Geek support phoned me back - I explained what had happened and they couldn't explain it!

I can only suggest that IF (and I hope the above happens for you) yours works again - don't let the battery fully discharge ever again ... it might shorten the life of the battery, but for the sake of having to buy a new battery a bit sooner, rather than being without your BB for up to a month, I'm happy to take the risk!

Good luck!

New Contributor
Uncleraspberry

Thank you so much for the reply janey4567, I think I've sussed it!

When I got home I checked the battery. Despite being plugged into my computer at work for about six hours it only gave 3.1 volts. It's a 3.7 volt battery. No way would it work at those levels!

So, I plugged it into the mains charger and hey presto, 15 minutes later, it sprang into life! All I had to reset was the time.

I've discovered, the hard way, that the computer doesn't give enough power to charge a flat battery. You have to use the mains!

I have it on good authority that it's good for batteries to be fully discharged occasionally, it actually improves them. I don't see any reason why it should be different for this one, so occasionally I'm going to bite the bullet and flatten it!!

Maybe what happened to you can be explained by this. It certainly sounds like it. I like the idea of 'magic' though :smileyhappy:

New Contributor
janey4567

Hiya! so glad yours worked again too!  I'm still claiming magic though, as mine died when I was using the mains charger - I left it plugged in on that overnight too and nothing happened, tried it on the car charger on the drive home and then on the usb charger. 

The other options were that it 'just didn't like the electricity in Yorkshire' (being from Lancashire with Yorkshire grandparents) I can say that! OR that it 'just needed a good rest' as it has hardly been left untouched since I got it on 1st Jan!!!! :-))

I've heard the same about discharging is good for the battery, but discussed this with CPW Geek squad and he always tops up his charge nightly and hasn't really noticed a difference in battery life - although he could just be saying that to get me to buy new batteries from CPW more regularly ;-))

Fingers crossed we both stay fully charged and working until upgrade time comes round again! :-)

New Contributor
Uncleraspberry

You're DEFINITELY wrong about the electricity!! I work in North Lincolnshire where it wouldn't work, and live in Yorkshire where it does :smileyvery-happy:

Might go Sony Ericsson next time. All the best,

Raspberry.

New Contributor
jmaglaqui
My Device: Curve 8900

hi, you posted your problem last february.  did you already find the answer? anyway, i just got my BB 8900 and I experienced the same thing.  However, this is what i found out.  This happens when the unit is fully discharged (which is actually bad for the battery, according to lithium-ion sites that talk about this kind of battery). It only means that the unit is till trying to charge as much as it can to fully support the functions of the phone. what you can do is just leave it to charge or do a reset (remove the battery and reinsert) after a 10-20 minutes of charging. You should be okay.
New Contributor
jmaglaqui
My Device: Curve 8900

My Wireless Provider replaced my unit although I see that this issue seems to occur in some BB 8900 units.  My unit is fine... even tried to replicate the issue but did not encounter it so far.  I guess keeping your batteries not fully drained before you charge may help save you... I hope this helps...
mrbatz09

My BB curve is a total piece. About 2 months old.

The battery was not even low.

I have the same problem as mentioned above.

Plug it in the wall to charge. 

Red LED goes on for 8 seconds.

Then a white screen shows up with a battery icon in the middle.

Then the screen goes black, no LED. Nothing. Won't turn on.

I didn't see the solution in any of the responses above.

Super Contributor
zwood
My Device: BB 8220 & BB 8900

If you let the battery fully run down to the point that the phone shuts down, plugging in the charger won't power it up. Plug in the A/C charger and let it charge an hour then try turning it on. If it won't come on pull out the battery for 20 seconds and put it back in.