02-09-2009 09:08 AM
Hi - probably a silly question that will just get replies saying - it's broken!
But let the battery fully discharge for first time since getting phone just over a month ago - plugged it into mains charger to charge it that night, screen lit up white with a battery charging symbol in middle - thought, "i'll turn it on so I can check emails etc. while it charges" and so pressed the 'on/power' button - nothing happened, screen went black, LED light went out ....
pressed a few other keys including the lock and mute keys on the very top - thinking maybe the power on button isn't the power on button after all !!! ....
tried the car charger thinking the charger wasn't working maybe
tried the usb charger
took the battery out, put it back in
it's an almost new phone - what's wrong with it!!!??
has anyone had the same problem - might it just be a dud battery or would the led still come on if that was the case??
going to try and get to express CPW centre after work today so want some ammunition if it doesn't really need to go off for repair - can't be without it for 10 working days!! need it for work!!!
thanks for any help!
02-10-2009 07:44 PM
I'd like to know if you sort this problem out. I got a brand new 8900 three weeks ago and let the battery fully discharge with the same result as you! As the phone was brand new I had it swapped for another brand new one. Guess what. . . Two days ago the battery fully discharged. I cleaned the battery terminals and it sprang into life again. Two days later -fully discharged again. Now it won't turn on no matter what I do.
Try cleaning the battery terminals with a cotton bud.
It's looking like the solution to MY problem is to go back to my old Sony Ericsson. . .
02-11-2009 05:04 AM
Hi there - not sure if it will be of much help as mine seemed to resolve itself through 'magic'! Neither I nor CWP support could explain.
Basically, i'd left it all day on Monday in my bag while i went to work and back .. feeling fed up and wondering how i'd last without it for at least 2 weeks (mine was only a few days older than 28 days!!!)..
Got home and phoned CPW Geek support - they put me on callback so 'just for fun' while I waited that evening I got out the mains charger and plugged the phone in again! The bleedin' red LED came on within a few seconds and the screen lit up with the charging symbol!!
I placed it gingerly down next to me - the red LED went out again - I groaned - but the screen stayed on .... I waited ..... it charged!! the home screen appeared a short while later .... all working again - all settings still there, emails from work and hotmail all present and correct!
Just before I went to bed, Geek support phoned me back - I explained what had happened and they couldn't explain it!
I can only suggest that IF (and I hope the above happens for you) yours works again - don't let the battery fully discharge ever again ... it might shorten the life of the battery, but for the sake of having to buy a new battery a bit sooner, rather than being without your BB for up to a month, I'm happy to take the risk!
02-11-2009 08:17 AM
Thank you so much for the reply janey4567, I think I've sussed it!
When I got home I checked the battery. Despite being plugged into my computer at work for about six hours it only gave 3.1 volts. It's a 3.7 volt battery. No way would it work at those levels!
So, I plugged it into the mains charger and hey presto, 15 minutes later, it sprang into life! All I had to reset was the time.
I've discovered, the hard way, that the computer doesn't give enough power to charge a flat battery. You have to use the mains!
I have it on good authority that it's good for batteries to be fully discharged occasionally, it actually improves them. I don't see any reason why it should be different for this one, so occasionally I'm going to bite the bullet and flatten it!!
Maybe what happened to you can be explained by this. It certainly sounds like it. I like the idea of 'magic' though
02-11-2009 08:27 AM
Hiya! so glad yours worked again too! I'm still claiming magic though, as mine died when I was using the mains charger - I left it plugged in on that overnight too and nothing happened, tried it on the car charger on the drive home and then on the usb charger.
The other options were that it 'just didn't like the electricity in Yorkshire' (being from Lancashire with Yorkshire grandparents) I can say that! OR that it 'just needed a good rest' as it has hardly been left untouched since I got it on 1st Jan!!!! :-))
I've heard the same about discharging is good for the battery, but discussed this with CPW Geek squad and he always tops up his charge nightly and hasn't really noticed a difference in battery life - although he could just be saying that to get me to buy new batteries from CPW more regularly ;-))
Fingers crossed we both stay fully charged and working until upgrade time comes round again! :-)
02-11-2009 08:37 AM
You're DEFINITELY wrong about the electricity!! I work in North Lincolnshire where it wouldn't work, and live in Yorkshire where it does
Might go Sony Ericsson next time. All the best,
06-13-2009 02:16 AM
07-17-2009 02:28 PM
09-03-2009 11:43 PM
My BB curve is a total piece. About 2 months old.
The battery was not even low.
I have the same problem as mentioned above.
Plug it in the wall to charge.
Red LED goes on for 8 seconds.
Then a white screen shows up with a battery icon in the middle.
Then the screen goes black, no LED. Nothing. Won't turn on.
I didn't see the solution in any of the responses above.
09-04-2009 12:30 AM