Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8330
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Curve 8330: Spinning Hourglass and No Email

[ Edited ]

I have a Blackberry Curve 8330 (about two months old) on VerizonWireless network. Yesterday, i started seeing a spinning hourglass that would not go away and now i cannot receive email. (I am not on an enterprise client.) The signal is showing 1XEV connection, and i see the "up/down" arrows flashing periodically, but still no email comes through. All but the standard five applications are closed, and i've tried the "remove the battery while the device is on and wait a few minutes before reconnecting" option to no avail. (The hourglass stopped for a few minutes, but came back and i'm still not receiving my email.)

STATUS

Battery: 65%

File Free: 34379991 Bytes

File Total: 83623936 Bytes

My other challenge is that i am using a Mac with OS X 10.4.11, not a Windows-based PC, so i don't have the software manager to use.

Can someone give me an option before i take this thing back to the store?

Thanks,

m

Message Edited by malikmlwilliams on 11-05-2008 08:19 AM
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Blackberry Curve 8330: Spinning Hourglass and No Email

[ Edited ]

I am having the exact same problem. Literally everythign you discribe is happening (I also have the same model phone)

I"m interestd that you posted this just this morning because this problem only arose recently (i.e. yesterday). Could something be wrong with generally with the Curve that is leading to this glitch?

Please, anybody help?

The only other thign I have to add is that the battery is draining quickly and that  I am not having any issues conecting to Web Browsing. 

Message Edited by rmaurer on 11-06-2008 03:37 PM
Contributor

Had the same problem with mine about 3 months after I got it. I immediately took it back to the store and the tech looked at it and then pulled a new one off the shelf and gave it to me. That fixed the problem but still doesn't solve why they do this.

BTW, my battery door clasp broke the other day. I took it back to the store and once again the tech just swapped it out for a new phone. My point is.....it sure pays to keep the think backed up because all I have to do is restore and the new one is set up just like my old one.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi Malkin.

You have a software problem that would involve reloading the device. I suggest returning it for a New

phone not a refurbished model. Why have a new device for the money you paid?

Thanks,

Please remember to resolve your thread. Put the checkmark in the green box that contained your answer!

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rmaurer: I forgot to mention the battery drain, but mine did that as well.

The idea of "just take it back and get another one" is never very satisfactory for me. Especially if i have to keep doing it over and over again (like bobcawman, above), and it never really addresses the problem. If that's the case, then it seems i've purchased a bad product, not just gotten a defective unit.

The solution for me was to backup all my data using the desktop manager, then reload the os software from vzw website. The process was a little convoluted, and i'm sorry i don't remember the exact steps to share here, but there is an option on the web site to obtain the latest version of the software (4.5 for Verizon, i believe). That has solved the problem for me so far. I guess the real question though, is why this is happening with so many people. I've seen many, many posts about the exact same thing. I wonder if it is an issue just with the previous version of the software, or something more serious with the 8330 operating system in general.

I'll wait and see....

Message Edited by malikmlwilliams on 11-07-2008 06:46 AM

So I found on another forum (http://www.bbgeeks.com/blackberry-issues/always-getting-the-hourglass-icon-on-your-curve-881105/) that the problem seems to be associated with the Facebook app.  When I deleted mine, I got all my email back and the hourglass went away immediately.  Hope this helps!
New Contributor

ah, i will have to keep that in mind if the problem starts again. (darn facebook! lol!)

thank you.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi Malikm, I take it your problem is resolved?

Good News!

Please take a moment to resolve the thread,

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter