Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
xcoldfearx
My Device: Curve - 8520

Blackberry Curve-8520 Wifi not working.

[ Edited ]

i have been trying to get my wifi working with my blackberry for a few hours now.I have enetered all my wireless router information and when it tries to connect it, it cant. the wifi symbol isnt lit-up in the top ight hand corner but beside my carrier name (rogers) it says my router name. when I press the blackberry button, go to manage connections it says Wifi with my router name but the button beside that isnt checked there is just "-" through it.

the only reason it says is cant connect to network.

any help would be greatly appretiated.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
stevels400
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681

Re: Blackberry Curve-8520 Wifi not working.

xcoldfearx wrote:

the wifi symbol isnt lit-up in the top ight hand corner but beside my carrier name (rogers) it says my router name.

That would suggested it is connected and working.

xcoldfearx wrote:

it says Wifi with my router name but the button beside that isnt checked there is just "-" through it.

And that would suggest it isn't

The Blackberry is designed to be reset by removing the battery whilst the device is powered-on. Leave the battery out for a minute or 2.

See if that resolves the problem.

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Isabella-JK
My Device: 9800

So, I recently bought an unlocked Blackberry Curve 8520 from ectops. Before I put in the SIM, I tried out the WIFI feature and it worked awesome. When I put the SIM card in, that's when my WIFI stopped working. I have T-Mobile and whenever I use the browser it always transfers me to the Home Page, telling me I have to purchase the web2go plan. Currently for my old phone, I don't have any data plans except for unlimited texting. WIFI is supposed to be free no matter what from what I understand like if you are connecting to your own router from home. I don't understand why it doesn't work anymore once I insert my SIM card. Does any one here know how to fix this problem? Sorry, I am new to Blackberry and the forums itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
GTWalling
My Device: 8520

You need to go into Options (the wrench Icon), then Advanced Options. Now select Browser. Change the Default browser configuration to Hotspot Browser. Click back and save. Now see if your browser will get to the Internet.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
9vaibhavd
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300

I recently bought blackberry curve 9300 and I am facing the same problem. I tried removing the battery and the phone did reboot. But I am still not able to connect to wifi.

The device shows my router name next to the carrier name. But the wifi icon appears in grey. 

And in the Manage Connections there is a '-' next to wifi and not a check mark. What could be the problem?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
stevels400
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681

Maybe lack of data plan?

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
GTWalling
My Device: 8520

9vaibhavd wrote:

I recently bought blackberry curve 9300 and I am facing the same problem. I tried removing the battery and the phone did reboot. But I am still not able to connect to wifi.

The device shows my router name next to the carrier name. But the wifi icon appears in grey. 

And in the Manage Connections there is a '-' next to wifi and not a check mark. What could be the problem?

It will show the router name when connected to it. It being grayed out is due to no BIS data plan. See my previous post to set it to hotspot browser. This is the only way you will get to the net without a BIS data plan.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
9vaibhavd

I have already done that but I am still not able to connect to he internet. 

I also tried changing the security setting of my wifi router to WEP which is definitely supported by this handset. but the problem still persists. Any other suggestion?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
9vaibhavd

I have already done that but I have still not able to connect to he internet. 

I also tried changing the security setting of my wifi router to WEP which is definitely supported by this handset. but the problem still persists. Any other suggestion?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
9vaibhavd

1 more thing. I went to wifioptions- >wifitools->diagnostics

In the wifi diagnostics it shows that IP address is no longer valid and that the VPN profile is not found. And I checked this immidiately after connecting to the network.

Please use plain text.