Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
mattyc
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520

Blackberry Curve 8520 charger port came out

Can anyone let me know if they have had the same issue, my blackberry curve 8520 is not even 6mths old & went to carphone warehouse to be looked at, they contacted back today & said they can only offer a 2nd opinion or 10% off another sim free handset, as the charger port coming away has been deemed as physical damage caused by me.

From looking at other forums it would appear this may be an inherent fault in blackberry as in some cases the charger port has not been secured/soldered to the mainboard correctly, causing it to come away when the charger is removed.

Despite me quoting the Sale of Goods Act 1974, which states "within the first 6 months there is a presumption that the goods are inherently faulty and you should get a refund or replacement (your choice) do not accept a repair at this stage. Remember the contract is with the company you bought the phone from not the manufacturer".

I am going to Trading Standards & will take this further as I feel it is shoddy workmanship in the 1st place & if there is a charger port fault Blackberry should be recalling all of their phones or asking consumers to take them in to be checked, In my opinion there is no way a charger port should only last under 6 months.

I welcome other blackberry users opinions to enable me to be able to build a case with regards to this issue, if there is a fault it needs to be brought to their attention as soon as possible.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mattyc

Re: Blackberry Curve 8520 charger port came out

Sorry do I take it there is no other blackberry 8520 user that has experienced the same problem? according to the forums I have checked this seems to be a common fault.

Please reply if you have had the same experience, as this phone was bought for our son's birthday, he now has no phone that he can charge & all the shop are offering is a 2nd opinion or 10% off another phone & it isn't even 6mths old !!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,931
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

mattyc wrote:

Despite me quoting the Sale of Goods Act 1974, which states "within the first 6 months there is a presumption that the goods are inherently faulty and you should get a refund or replacement (your choice) do not accept a repair at this stage. Remember the contract is with the company you bought the phone from not the manufacturer".

I agree with this and would encourage you to press the matter further.

No, I have not seen any multitude of 8520 devices with loose or broken USB ports.

Good luck, you have a good case.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mattyc

Thanks so much for your reply I am dealing with Consumer Direct who have agreed we do have a case against carphone warehouse where the phone was purchased, will definitely keep you posted as to the outcome.

Your response is very much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,931
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You're welcome. I'd be pretty hacked myself.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lakielotz
My Device: curve 8520

Im having the same problem, I brought my daughters from an online store called prepaymania they have tried to say the same..its damage not a fault....I have told them Im willing to take it futher and I will not back down....its only 9months old...Let me know how you get on, maybe we can use each other to get our phones replaced or repaired....
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lakielotz

I also know of others having the same problem with the charging port....its defintley turning into a common fault!!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mattyc

I will definitely let you know how we get on but we are being told by Consumer Direct that we are entitled to a new phone although we have requested a full refund instead now. They have 14 days to respond or they will receive another letter which gives them a further 7 days, if not then we take them to the small claims court, which we are more than prepared to do. Don't forget they will have to pay all the charges, we have already spoken to a local repair shop who said its the most common fault on Curves, Bolds & Torches & told us what we need to say as well.

The end result could be blackberry being forced to recall all blackberrys due to this fault  

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lakielotz

Hi, yes consumer direct have said the same to me and I am in the proccess in getting a letter to the company giving them 14 days to reply for a repair. They have tried to say that it has been knocked and thats why it has come loose. I am also going to speak to a repair shop to see what they say. I also will call blackberry to log a complaint about the charging ports. I will keep you informed as to how I get on, but see myself heading to a small claims court too... :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
reallyfedup
My Device: Curve 8520

I am in the same position with an 8520 bought in May this year. It has been carefully used and has just come away on the end of the charging cable.

How have you got on with your claims for repair or replacement?

I am getting fobbed off by Vodafone at the moment. Will quote the fit for purpose regulations that sounds reasonable.

Please use plain text.