Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
martm8
My Device: Curve 8520

Blackberry Curve 8520 will not turn on!

Hello, I am desperately hoping someone can assist me with the problem I am experiencing with my Curve 8520.

I have spent ages online looking at other forums and trying to see if people have had the same issue as me and to see if anyone had worked out what the problem was and could resolve it. It appears as though I'm the only one having this exact issue!

Yesterday, my phone turned off, without me using the off button. It was sat beside me, untouched but when I went to check it, it had turned off. I believe this has happened before and was not an issue, so didn't panic. However, when I tried to turn on the device, it would not work.

Whenever I attempt to turn it on the red light shows for a while, before it attempts to switch on (loading bar screen shows). It looks as though it is about to work sometimes, but gets to the same point, which is probably about 5% complete and then goes dead again. It continues to try to switch itself on without my command.

I have tried charging it, leaving the battery out for a while and trying again etc etc but to no avail.

It's such a shame because I was looking to splash out on a new model (as this now, it quite a low grade of BB!) but after this issue I am not so sure. Reading forum posts from other users whilst attempting to find a remedy for my issue has only out more doubt in my mind about using BB again. I sincerely hope my faith can be restored.

Please let me know if I missed any information which would be helpful, I am not very 'techy' at all.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Blackberry Curve 8520 will not turn on!

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
martm8

Thank you very much, I will be sure to let you know how it goes!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
martm8

Disappointingly I am still having the same problem. Do you suggest trying again or would you now suggest I try my battery in someone else's BB/try their battery in mine?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Well, from what you've said, I cannot tell what you've actually done, nor the actual results therefrom. I gave you two processes to try, and I have no idea what of those you've actually done, and thereby can't move forward to other things...

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
martm8

Apologies, I tried the first method (charging for 2 hours, taking battery out for 15 mins and charging again for 2 hours)

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK...then yes, I'd recommend you move on to the next thing I recommended back there.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
martm8

Fortunately, it randomly started working again. I have updated BB App world etc as a test to see if it turned back on afterward/struggled with this type of command and (touch wood) seems fine!

Thank you for your help.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome...enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.