Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

britandtrav2012
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300

Blackberry Curve 9300 keeps shutting off and rebooting

My blackberry has all of a sudden started shutting off and rebooting itself.  It does this very often and is driving me crazy because of how long it takes to turn back on.  I just replaced the battery about a month ago because the one I had died.  If anyone has any ideas please help!

Retired
FrankieS
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Blackberry Curve 9300 keeps shutting off and rebooting

[ Edited ]

Hi britandtrav2012,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community.

Does your BlackBerry® Torch™ 9800 smartphone restart at regular or specific intervals throughout the day or at random times?

Thanks.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
shashikantpandey9
My Device: 5.0 bundle 1399(v5.0.0.832.platform 6.3.0.31)

I got this problem today and i stuck with this. I read the support forum but did not find anything useful. It's very irritaing and i am helpless. I never faced this problem in future, using this device from last 18 month and no issues.

Yesterday suddenly it's switched off and now here i am -  keeps shutting off and rebooting.  I pluggged out the battery and inserted again - and it works fine for few hours but again the same situation.

I have taken the backup of phone data so there is no issues with information. I have deleted everything from the BB using Desktop SW and format the disk as well but no improvement.

Please suggest and provide solution on urgent basis. Thanks you very much in advance for your support.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

shashikantpandey9 wrote:

I got this problem today and i stuck with this. I read the support forum but did not find anything useful. It's very irritaing and i am helpless. I never faced this problem in future, using this device from last 18 month and no issues.

Yesterday suddenly it's switched off and now here i am -  keeps shutting off and rebooting.  I pluggged out the battery and inserted again - and it works fine for few hours but again the same situation.

I have taken the backup of phone data so there is no issues with information. I have deleted everything from the BB using Desktop SW and format the disk as well but no improvement.

Please suggest and provide solution on urgent basis. Thanks you very much in advance for your support.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Given your description, an OS reload (and perhaps some variations...keep reading) would be in order...

At the top of each device forum, there should be some "sticky" threads that discuss the OS levels available for many models. If they include your model, then please use those as reference as you proceed. Otherwise, you will have to dig through the official download portal for OS packages for your model:

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try this procedure to perhaps narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
shashikantpandey9

Very Helpful Information. THank You Very much for quick turnaround.

I have seen the similar post somewhere related to blackberry and it's really useful.

WHat i did is mentioned below -

>> I have taken the backup first which was really hard to get but after 4-5 reboot, i got successful backup.

>> I have erased everything from the blackberry and formatted the memory as well.

Now , Blackberry consist only battery and Memory Card, No SIM.
>> I was running with OS 5 so i downloaded OS 6.
After this - i have deleted, Vendor.XML from below Location and double clicked on loader.exe -

•C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
•C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

When everything was successfully done as mentioned above. I left it for sometime and explored the system to ensure that everything is in place. I switched-off the BB and restarted again to see that behavior is normal. I was running without SIM for half an hour and then switch-off again. Inserted the SIM and make my first call after this problem.
OOH - it was a big relief to see everything is working fine :smileyhappy:

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Excellent! Enjoy!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
shashikantpandey9

Hello,
At first, It seems problem has been resolved but it still occurs with the less frequency. It's like 4-5 times a day.

I felt like there is some problem with battery positioning which might be causing this issue. Battery is not fit as per the size with the time. It's slight loose which might be causing this issue.

Any suggestion.
Laurennnn_93
My Device: Curve 9300

My 9300 is doing this. I can be half way through a phone call and it will just cut out. The battery has been replaced TWICE because twice it blew. It only gets charged when needed. I spent 2 HOURS today updating the software and uninstalling things I didn't use, following instructions I was given on this forum, only for it to crash 6 times within 10 minutes. Also by doing that, it has wiped ALL my contacts, ALL my pictures and ALL my music. Really really at the end of my tether with it now.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Laurennnn_93 wrote:

My 9300 is doing this. I can be half way through a phone call and it will just cut out. The battery has been replaced TWICE because twice it blew. It only gets charged when needed. I spent 2 HOURS today updating the software and uninstalling things I didn't use, following instructions I was given on this forum, only for it to crash 6 times within 10 minutes. Also by doing that, it has wiped ALL my contacts, ALL my pictures and ALL my music. Really really at the end of my tether with it now.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

It sounds indeed like you have tried nearly all that has been posted here...I cannot tell for sure, however, if you tried the very tedious 6-step (iterative) process in post 4 above, but do please note what that says:

• "If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure."

If such is the case, then only in-hand evaluation by a qualified hardware technician can give a full diagnosis and estimate. All we can do is provide tools by which you can conduct a deductive process, ruling things out as causal, leaving as few (hopefully only one) items as possible conclusions -- but, at an internet-distance, we can't really diagnose anything 100%.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
dpriddle
My Device: 9860

I had the same problem with my wifes 9300.  I have finally found the repair for it.  I noticed that as soon as it was plugged into the charger it would power up even without the charger plugged into a poer source, so I cut off the end of an old charger I had an leave it plugged into the USB port and it works fine.  I know this is a makeshift fix but at least it will get me through until my upgrade comes up.  I have had the USB port repaired/replaced 3 times so I'm not about to do it again.

My Torch 9860 had the same problem.  Same fix.

Always seems to happen about 2 years into a 3 year contract ...