Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
Jordboi11
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9320
My Carrier: Tesco

Blackberry Curve 9320 switches off randomly when the phone is not on charge.

Blackberry Curve 9320 Problem

Hello. I've had this problem for about 6 months now, but it's never really bothered me until it became as bit more frequent and slightly more annoying.

My Balckberyy Curve 9320 seems to switch off unexpectedly and I have to take the battery out and put it back in to get it to come back on again. Sometimes it happens when I do a certain task on the mobile, such as take a photo. I'll take the photo and the phone will just die as soon as I take the photo. Or it will be when I start texting or seinding a message over BBM.

I have tried wiping the mobile of all of it's data but still ther is no solve to the problem. It's not a problem with the phone's battery either. I've done a little research and I can't find much on this problem. All I found was a load of rubbish about the OS, I fear that it may be a hardware problem which will most probably result in me buying a new phone and scrapping my blackberry.

The phone switches off most often at low battery percentage, usually 45% or lower. When the phone has low power, it seems most likely and expected to switch off at any time (not like 2% battery power remaining). However, it has been known to switch off on a high battery power percentage.

If the phone is on charge, then it will not switch off. It has never switched off while I use it when it is plugged in. The only case where this happened is where I tested taking a photo with the phone on charge to see if it switched off and it did. But this seems to not happen anymore after I wiped the mobile.

What do you think the problem is? Could you suggest any solutions?

Thanks a lot for all your help and advice in advance.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Curve 9320 switches off randomly when the phone is not on charge.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

While I find in your post several deductions, I don't see what backs those up...specifically:

Jordboi11 wrote:

It's not a problem with the phone's battery either. I've done a little research and I can't find much on this problem. All I found was a load of rubbish about the OS, I fear that it may be a hardware problem which will most probably result in me buying a new phone and scrapping my blackberry.

What you describe is actually quite common for a battery that has gone bad. Unfortunately, I cannot tell why you have ruled that out, so I must therefore still suggest this test:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem. If it's not the battery, then it indeed is the BB...but that still could be hardware or software.

But, again, you've already ruled out the OS, but not said why...so I can only again recommend some tests for you to attempt in order to try and truly deduce what the root cause most likely is...

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

I'm sorry if all of that is just repeating the "rubbish" you have already ruled out, but from your post, I have no way to know if you've truly conducted these tests or not. And all of this is a deductive process...ruling out what might be causal, leaving you with the fewest possibly causal items. But, not knowing why you already ruled some of these out, I cannot say with the same surety you have that the problem is the hardware itself.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jordboi11
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9320
My Carrier: Tesco

Re: Blackberry Curve 9320 switches off randomly when the phone is not on charge.

Thanks. I'll try these solutions, the phone hasn't switched itself off for about 4 days now... Quite unusual, it seems so have sorted itself out (what it seems like) but I do think it will happen again soon.
Please use plain text.
shah_p86
My Device: 9320
My Carrier: Airtel

[ Edited ]

hey, i am having same problem with my blackberry 9320.. i went to blackberry service station and they have updated software. but still the problem persist. i have also removed the memory card to check whether probelm is there with my memory card. but still my bb gets switched off randomly.

Could you please help me, what have you done to solve the problem.

thanks.

Regards,

Priyank

Removed personal information to comply withCommunity GuidelinesandTerms and Conditions of Use.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
atoshkumar
My Device: 9320
My Carrier: Airtel

Hello. I've had this problem for about 1 months now.My Balckberyy Curve 9320 seems to switch off unexpectedly and I have to take the battery out and put it back in to get it to come back on again. Sometimes it happens when I do a certain task on the mobile, such as take a photo. I'll take the photo and the phone will just die as soon as I take the photo. Or it will be when I start texting or seinding a message over BBM ,Fcaebook etc.

My phone is 10months old with OS7.1.So can anybody help to solve this problem.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

But if the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then you may need to consider more drastic actions -- WIPE, OS Reload, BBSAK Wipe/Reload, and the "Bare Bones" OS Reload Process. To prepare, you should be sure that you have a full backup to your PC...please review the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post for instructions.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
manishjoshi14
My Device: Curve 9320
My Carrier: Idea

I am facing the same problem for last three months. My phone has already been to service station and apart from cosmatic damages to the phone I dont see any change cause the problem still persists.

I dont think service station guys would be able to resolve this issue. We'll have to solve it by trial and error. Do let me know if you find a solution.

Actually a friend has given a easy solution..... Buy a new phone... and make sure its not a blackberry. But for me it is still the last option...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
shub-90980
My Device: curve 9320
My Carrier: vodafone-in

Thanks a lot.
I am facing the same problem. I have tried the steps to update the software through apploader (the steps provided in http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-12-how-reload-operating-system-nuked-blackberry). i dont have a nuked one but tried the steps to reload the OS hoping it would fix my mobile! but i did not get the list of things to be loaded and only got wifi music sync to be deleted or added! on clicking next it is not doing any updation. Please help my cell keeps on switching of!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
shub-90980

[ Edited ]

can you let me know the steps you tried! Thats a request! i am facing huge problem as u used to, I will be grateful if you reply to my email : (personal info removed)@gmail.com . Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
shub-90980

I am having the same problem, that is the mobile shuts down when using camera or some applications! sometimes when i am on a call for long!

I have switched on in safe mode and it is giving me less trouble. I am telling this because i dint have any applications installed earlier other than facebook and now i have no application installed. So, i cannot tell if any application was causing any problem. I just was on a call for 34 mins in safe mode and it dint shut down! so is the battery not a problem?

One more thing, I cannot get my flash on! it tells battery is too low. But it shows more than half! and if i put the flash on, after taking 3-4 pics it is getting switched off!

Please help! thanks in advance!

Please use plain text.