Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

anishaparekh
My Device: Curve 9360

Blackberry Curve 9360 Charging Problem

Recently whenever I try to charge my phone, it will only charge if the charger is in the port in a VERY specific position, and if the charger is even moved or wiggled slightly, the charging will discontinue.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Blackberry Curve 9360 Charging Problem

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

That sounds like a hardware issue -- something inside about the port and/or connections is broken or loose. If you remain under warranty, I would recommend you seek warranty support -- which you seek from your mobile service provider, original place of purchase, or authorized service center...when you purchased, you should have received documentation telling you exactly how to exercise your warranty support (which is NEVER direct with RIM, always through one of those above parties).

Hopefully, there is nothing that would indicated damage (scratches, etc.)...it's been reported by others that, with the exact situation as yours, if the outside of their BB, around the port, is scratched, they've been denied warranty coverage. Of course, every situation is unique, and is 100% controlled by the contract you have with that appropriate warranty entity.

If you are unsure which entity is appropriate for you to seek warranty evaluation from, then talk to your original place of purchase...they should be able to guide you.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Advisor II
aiharkness
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I agree it sounds like hardware issue on the device, but it would be worth trying another charger, or at least a different USB plug.  Say you have been using a wall charger but have a USB cable for use with a computer, then try the cable and charge from a computer.  Or vice versa.  It's a long shot the problem is the male plug, but won't hurt to check.

- Ira
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Yes...that is a good idea to attempt. Just to rule out the charger itself as causal. Good idea.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
manic-mable
My Device: curve 9360

Apparently it is a known hardware fault but it can be repaired. Orange have refused to replace or repair mine even though it is under warranty and they also indicated they had received many calls of a similar nature on my particular model.  I have since spoken to numerous repair companies to get a quote for fixing and they too say it is a very common fault. This is something Blackberry RIM needs to address.

The internal fixings are flimsy and after a while they become worn and the solder etc cracks which is when the port comes away from its housing. As the battery wears out you have to charge it more regularly and this puts wear and tear on the port so it becomes loose. The more you try to wriggle the charger in the port, hoping you can get it into a position where it will charge, the more damage is done until the small internal pins get bent and the whole thing either false out or pushes into the housing. The phone providers then say it has been damaged through excessive wear and tear and leaves you in a no win situation. Sounds familiar? I teach at a senior school which is full of kids who are replacing their Blackberry's for alternatives (most like them only for the BBM anyway) because their charging ports are knackered. I wonder how many other people have fallen victim to this fault and how many potential customers Blackberry have lost. This is the third Blackberry within my family that this has happened to. When my contract expires I'm going to get samsung!!

rhiannon245
My Device: curve 9300

I bought a Curve for my daughter in March and within 8 weeks the charging port became loose. The people we bought it from, Phones 4 U, said it was wear and tear and charged us 36 pounds to fix it. Later it fell out! I've still got a year to pay 4 this relatively useless phone. I feel totally ripped off. There should be a recall on them.
New Contributor
Ruankoekemoer
My Device: curve 9360

I can garuntee you that it is the charching block that has mal functioned. It could either just be lose or the pins connecting it to the circutboard has completely broken. Replacing a charching block is not very expensive, could average about $15. Any more would be a rip off!