Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
hng_ca
My Device: Curve 9380
My Carrier: Mobilicity

Blackberry Curve 9380 - Can send emails (and do everything else) but not receive emails

Hello,

I have a Blackberry Curve 9380, which I purchased directly from my carrier (Mobilicity) in December 2011. Everything was working perfectly up until 2 weeks ago, when I stopped receiving emails on one of the email accounts. 

Some background information:

-it is a personal device (not on BES) but it is my work email that is having this problem of being able to send emails perfectly, but not receiving them

-personal accounts (Hotmail and Gmail) are all working perfectly

-no problems with BIS (can still BBM)

-no problems with calling or texting

What I have tried (multiple times):

-battery pull

-resend service books

-HRT registration

-making sure that my inbox was nowhere near its maximum capacity

-spoke with my work IT department (even though it is not a BES phone) and they promised me nothing has changed and that everyone else who does not have a work Blackberry are still receving their work emails on their phones. I have verified this with colleagues and it is true, with an Android, Blackberry, and iPhone (none of them on Mobilicity though).

-speaking to carrier

After multiple calls to the carrier (and trying many of the aforementioned things multiple times with them on the phone), they said that I have to speak to Blackberry, as on their end, they can see that they are pulling the emails from my work account, but it somehow isn't making it onto my device. I always get the "Activation Server" message on the work account, but that's it.

As well, I have set up this email account onto 2 other devices (on other carriers) and they have had no problems receiving and sending emails. So, that leads me to conclude that it is either the device itself, the carrier, or a combination of the two.

It's strange, right? For this one account, I can send emails without a problem, and it even syncs in my Microsoft Outlook inbox when I send the emails, and the other email accounts work fine. I'm just not receiving emails on this one account. 

If anyone can provide some insight, that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry Curve 9380 - Can send emails (and do everything else) but not receive emails

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

From what you describe, it does not sound like you have done all of this, in this precise order. So, with a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books (pre-BB10 devices only)

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Reboot

• Pre-BB10 Devices ONLY. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should try deleting and re-adding your configurations for the affected email accounts.

hng_ca wrote:

After multiple calls to the carrier (and trying many of the aforementioned things multiple times with them on the phone), they said that I have to speak to Blackberry, as on their end, they can see that they are pulling the emails from my work account, but it somehow isn't making it onto my device. I always get the "Activation Server" message on the work account, but that's it.

Until I read this, I was next going to recommend that you contact your mobile service provider if the above steps don't work...but, there are two problems I can see with that paragraph...

First, did your carrier tell you that by posting to this forum that you were going to be able to "speak to Blackberry"? If so, whoever told you that was totally wrong. This site is a user-to user community, not a channel for any formal support from, escalation to, nor discussions with BlackBerry for any purpose whatsoever. Rather, what your carrier should have done was to escalate your case up to BlackBerry via the channels to which only they (your carrier) have access. End users have no free path by which to bypass their carrier and seek formal support from BlackBerry...only via escalation can that be received (for free).

Second, you say "Activation Server"...that sounds very much like it is BES...please expand on that so that we can know for certain if you are actually trying to activate BES, or something else.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
hng_ca
My Device: Curve 9380
My Carrier: Mobilicity

Re: Blackberry Curve 9380 - Can send emails (and do everything else) but not receive emails

Hi sdgardne,

Thanks for your quick reply. I did follow the steps you outlined (I found it on another thread here) but alas, it didn't work. I actually got a few other people to do it too, in case I had done it incorrectly (hence the 2 weeks of this problem), but in the end, I am still not receiving emails on this one account. Everything that was suppose to happen, like the registration message and the activation message, happened. And we followed the directions precisely. All other functions of the phone work perfectly - it is just this one darn account that I can only send and not receive emails on.

The carrier did not tell me to go on to the forums - I did that myself because it seems like ther are a lot of tech-saavy people on here! They gave me a number to call Blackberry directly, but they bounced me back to my provider for some code and then I kept getting bounced around a few more times between them. Now I understand why - thank you for explaining that! I will call my provider this afternoon and try that route again. 

With regards to the "Activation Server" message, I get it in all my email accounts (work email, Gmail, and Hotmail) everytime I perform the "send service books" step. The message is from "Activation Server", titled "Email Account Information", and the body of the message says: "Congratulations, you have successfully set up xxx@xxx.ca with your Blackberry device. You should begin receiving new messages in approximately 20 minutes."

This is my personal phone and I have never had BES, only BIS. But I'm not familiar enough with BES vs BIS to know if it can somehow "migrate" to BES from BIS...that sounds really silly as I type it, but you lot will know better than me!

I will contact my provider who will hopefully get me in touch with Blackberry and get this resolved. Otherwise, I guess it will be time for a new phone (though I'm really hoping to avoid that route). I'll post the progress (and hopefully the resolution) for future users who may run into this problem. 

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

hng_ca wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply. I did follow the steps you outlined (I found it on another thread here) but alas, it didn't work. I actually got a few other people to do it too, in case I had done it incorrectly (hence the 2 weeks of this problem), but in the end, I am still not receiving emails on this one account. Everything that was suppose to happen, like the registration message and the activation message, happened. And we followed the directions precisely. All other functions of the phone work perfectly - it is just this one darn account that I can only send and not receive emails on.

The one thing I still don't see (maybe I missed it) you having yet tried is removing and re-integrating the account from scratch. Sometimes, if something goes wrong during the initial integration of the account, it takes removal and re-integration to correct it. And leaving some time in between steps might also be useful -- e.g., remove the account, wait an hour, do the 3 steps (HRT, Service Books, Reboot) again, wait another hour, then re-integrate the account.

Also, perhaps trying different methods to integrate the account. The normal method of the on-device email setup wizard is not the only one. There is also, via PC/browser, your carriers BIS website (if they have one). Also, via the device browser, www.blackberry.com/integrate. And also still, the agents at your carrier can conduct the integration (riskier, IMHO, as it requires you to reveal your email account credentials to them).

hng_ca wrote:

With regards to the "Activation Server" message, I get it in all my email accounts (work email, Gmail, and Hotmail) everytime I perform the "send service books" step. The message is from "Activation Server", titled "Email Account Information", and the body of the message says: "Congratulations, you have successfully set up xxx@xxx.ca with your Blackberry device. You should begin receiving new messages in approximately 20 minutes."

Ahhhh...OK...that makes sense now. The briefly stated "Activation Server" is what caused my confusion...the remaining information received now clarifies that it definitely is BIS.

hng_ca wrote:

This is my personal phone and I have never had BES, only BIS. But I'm not familiar enough with BES vs BIS to know if it can somehow "migrate" to BES from BIS...that sounds really silly as I type it, but you lot will know better than me!

By itself, no. BES is typically corporate/enterprise hosted (they have servers for their corporate email), and provides more OTA functionality than BIS can. You would have to either be working for someone with BES and get activated on it, or subscribe to a 3rd party email provider that can provide BES to you and get activated on that.

hng_ca wrote:

The carrier did not tell me to go on to the forums - I did that myself because it seems like ther are a lot of tech-saavy people on here! They gave me a number to call Blackberry directly, but they bounced me back to my provider for some code and then I kept getting bounced around a few more times between them. Now I understand why - thank you for explaining that! I will call my provider this afternoon and try that route again. 

I will contact my provider who will hopefully get me in touch with Blackberry and get this resolved. Otherwise, I guess it will be time for a new phone (though I'm really hoping to avoid that route). I'll post the progress (and hopefully the resolution) for future users who may run into this problem. 

Thank you!

The carrier really is responsible for this. Consider...you pay your carrier for 100% of your services, which makes them 100% responsible for your service-related support. At the moment, they seem to be delivering neither to you...so your gentle persistence with them will be needed, but now at least you understand the process of proper escalation.

BTW -- escalation can, in some cases, take the path you had (where you were given a BB number to call, but not given a case number to use). In some cases, that indeed is a proper escalation method...but you do need, from your carrier, the case number in order to receive that support from BlackBerry (since that's how BlackBerry will bill-back to the carrier for the fees incurred). Other escalation methods are that the carrier takes the information, provides a case number to you, and then forwards the call to BlackBerry with you still on the line. Still other methods follow similar paths, but with you receiving the case number, and a commitment for a call-back from BlackBerry support. In ALL cases, there must be a case number provided to you for tracking purposes...without that case number, there can be no escalation to BlackBerry.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.