Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
tstockma
My Device: RIM 8320

Blackberry Desktop - how to find download for v4.5?

I recently had to rebuild my desktop machine, I have used v4.5 for a long, long time on my old 8320.  I've searched Blackberry's web site for the old desktop software - the download section lists only the newer versions, it even has a link to find old versions, but that link doesn't actually deliver  old versions that I can find. 

Anybody have a link to the v4.5 desktop?  (I need the old version, I run backups of my phone on the old Windows 2000 machine, which newer Desktop versions don't run on.)

Thanks for any help?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
Wolf359
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: Blackberry Desktop - how to find download for v4.5?

Windows 2000 support was ended by Microsoft July 2010

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/?sort=PN&alpha=Windows+2000&Filter=FilterNO

Can you get Windows XP?  The current version of the desktop manager supports XP Service pack 3.

http://us.blackberry.com/software/desktop/desktop-pc/system-requirements.html

My Device: RIM 8320

Thanks, I'll explore options.  My main preference is to use the W2K box for this phone, I have a collection of backup files & a desktop Contact manager that interacts with them, all tied to the oldW2K system (yep I know support is long ended from M$).   A guy on crackberry suggests filecrop.com to find vers 4.5, they don't have it exactly but do have some that are close. 

Not sure yet what course I'll take, potentially I'll try to put the current desktop manager on my Windows 2007 machine and see if it will talk to this old phone.  I'm a strong believer in the "do no harm" philosophy, and I don't like mixing the latest desktop manager with the old phone OS - would hate to see the desktop automagically push a new version & break the phone.

Why wouldn't RIM just leave older versions available?  Never mind, lots of people question RIM's decisions these days...I'm probably just one more rat about to leave a sinking ship.

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Do you still have the CD that came with your Curve? If so, the BlackBerry Desktop Manager is available on there. Alternately, you can try here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/253387-archived-rim-desktop-software.html

There are some older versions listed there that may handle your needs. Please be aware though, as those are not directly provided by RIM, install at your own risk.

I hope that info helps!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I have not heard of those files not being legit. Been a member there for a while.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,951
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Those downloads are legit, I put them there. Unofficial.downloads, but legit files for sure.

And for the record, RIM hasn't abandoned their customers. Like any software developer, they offer upgrades. Besides, you have via this site and the kind folks above, found exactly what you need. :smileywink:

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

I didn't mean to say the files aren't legit, but rather since they don't come direct from RIM, there is no official support for them. If there are problems with the install, etc, you won't be able to get assistance (rather, you'll be told to upgrade to the most recent version of the Desktop Software).

That said though, people should also always use caution when downloading files from other sites on the internet. Sure, these files were uploaded by a legitimate user (JSanders), but you always need to use caution when downloading files from unofficial sites online, especially when searching sites like filecrop.com.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,951
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

My comment was only to reassure the user.  

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.