Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
sharadsam
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Maps for India

Hey Guys 

I recently bought a Curve Javelin (8900) and found that while I connected to the GPS, I could not have any maps for Bangalore (India).  Apparently BB does not have any maps for India.  I also travel a lot to Japan, where there are no maps too!!

Is there any alternatives that I have?

Most other proprietary software are not blackberry enabled - mainly Windows mobile and Symbian.

Thanx

Sharad 

Developer
CrackBerryDavid

Re: Blackberry Maps for India

Google Maps?

New Contributor
sharadsam

Hi David

Got the google maps, but it uses the GPRS and not the GPS despite trying all sorts of stuff with it.  

I mean why should we not be able to use the GPS if supplied!

Thanx 

Super Contributor
Forza
My Device: 7230,7290,8100,8300,8700,9000

Google maps on BB use both data connection (GPRS in your case) and GPS to locate where you are, you should be able to see a dot on the map for your location and would move according to the direction you are going.

Keep an eye on www.blackberry.com/maps, but at the mean while you can use 3rd party applications, e.g. http://amazegps.com/index.php?page=countries&language=en

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If someone give you helpful hints, please click on Kudos.
If you issue is resolved, mark Accept Solution next to the resolution post.
Feel free to search www.blackberry.com/btsc to find your answers.
New Contributor
ujjawalkumarjain

BB has no plans for India as of now and it might take few more years :smileysad:

New Contributor
sharadsam

Thanx guys. 

Disappointing though.  I am using the Amaze and Google maps together.  Amaze when I need the voice info.  Google Maps for other stuff.  The google is better with addresses definitely. 

Regards

New Contributor
vnsriram1
My Device: BOLD 8900

Hi, does amaze maps work without gprs? Is it any good for india?

New Contributor
vnsriram1
My Device: BOLD 8900

i d like to download blackberry maps for when i travel to europe but it won t let me download it and keeps saying device requirements are not met. just got a new blackberry bold in india - 

New Contributor
sharadsam

Sorry You will need the GPS.  Also the Amaze is NOT Amaze for India.  The addresses are not gr8 to get you around. 

Best is the Google maps, but the free version does not have voice guidance while driving. 

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

vnsriram1 wrote:

i d like to download blackberry maps for when i travel to europe but it won t let me download it and keeps saying device requirements are not met. just got a new blackberry bold in india - 

Do you have a BlackBerry Data Plan enabled on your account with your carrier or mobile provider?

You must, in order to get the RIM push email functions you are looking for, as well as addtional BlackBerry data services such as the internet browser, Facebook for BlackBerry, BlackBerry Messenger, and much more.

So, call your carrier an inquire about having the BlackBerry Data Plan added to your account.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code