Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
jt12538
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Blackberry Maps is just a sales pitch.

This is real bad. Sell a phone with GPS. Push Blackbeery Maps. Then tell you it does not work! On the site it says ATT not supported. No mention of Verizon not being supported though.I've had the phone for 2 days now - its going back. First and last Blackberry!!!

Start GPS Navigation option in BlackBerry Maps is not available

Doc ID : KB13397
Last Modified : 02-03-2009
Document Type : Support

Environment
  • BlackBerry® 8830 World Edition smartphone
  • BlackBerry® Curve™ 8330 smartphone
  • BlackBerry® Pearl™ 8130 smartphone
  • Verizon Wireless® network

Overview

The Start GPS Navigation option in BlackBerry® Maps is not available on a BlackBerry smartphone that is connected to the Verizon Wireless network.

Resolution

For information on Global Positioning System (GPS) services, contact your wireless service provider.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran III
urumilton
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Re: Blackberry Maps is just a sales pitch.

Hi jt12538 and welcome to the Blackberry Forums

The problem is not Blackberry, the problem is your Carrier (Verizon)

Verizon use a similar product that Blackberry Maps and for this blocks the Blackberry Maps function in the devices.

If you change to another carrier like Tmobile you can use the Blackberry Maps.

Att have a similar program too, called ATT Navigator, but you can use both, in Verizon network the Program is Blocked.

My suggestion: Leave Verizon, not Blackberry. 

For example if you are flying to South America, with Verizon Network you don't have Data Roaming in your device, because there are not any CDMA Carrier to support the Verizon Roaming.

If you change to a GSM Carrier, you can use your device in any country in the world.

Again, the problem is Verizon Wireless, not the Blackberry Device.

Thanks. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
WILDDUX
My Device: Bold 9700

Use Googlemaps...much better and totally free....
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jt12538

Guys,

Thanks for the info. When I researched the Blackberry website for Blackberry Maps it said that BB Maps was not supported by ATT for my 8330. I did NOT mention Verizon. Only after trying to d/l BB Maps did I get the message to contact my carrier.

I already have Google Maps. Been using it for along time with my previous PPC phones. But under BB/Verizon Google Maps relies on cell tower triangulation only. It shows my location sometimes 4700 meters off. Thats  3 miles off. What good does that do anyone?

I am very disappointed. Blackberry did not disclose the problem with Verizon and not only that but they ALLOW it. Verizon probably payed Blackberry to accomodate them. Maybe they even give BB a percentage of subscriptions.

I have had a cell phone continously since 1988 and this may be the biggest disappointment I have had in that entire time.

I bought a Blackberry! I am a Blackberry customer! Blackberry should allow THEIR customers, Verizon or not, to overide that setting and make full use of the phone they bought..

Please use plain text.
Contributor
janevans911
My Device: 8330 Curve 4.5.0, VZW

I don't understand why people say that BB maps does not work with Verizon carriers. I have Verizon and BB maps and it searches for GPS and shows exactly where I am. Is that what you are saying that Verizon does not allow?  I do not have voice, turn by turn directions, but I can go to "get directions" from my location(using GPS) or put in another location and it gives me written directions with a map.
I LOVE MY PINKBERRY!
Please use plain text.
Elite I
cathlabnurse
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

I love my blackberry and I like verizon, however, i am disappointed they have locked the GPS signal in hopes of taking out VZ navigator.  Anyway, one day maybe they will change!! if enough people quit buying the navigator. 

:smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: Nurse-Berry :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:
janevans911
My Device: 8330 Curve 4.5.0, VZW

Hello all! Just to go on record GPS and BB maps works perfectly on my Verizon 8330 Curve 4.5. I used "Start GPS Navigation" tonight, went to get directions. Chose "from my location" to my home address (already stored) and then
"Get directions" it showed written directions, and then when I went back to the map, my route showed up with a purple path from begining to end and my car was a red arrow. It followed my path EXACTLY, I could scroll ahead, zoom, or go back to written directions. There just was not a sexy voice giving me directions but it worked perfectly and with Poynt, I feel totally complete with no need for VZ Navigator.  So maybe upgrading to 4.5 (verizon users) will take care of the lack of GPS with BB Maps.  Have a great week!
I LOVE MY PINKBERRY!
Please use plain text.
Elite I
cathlabnurse

thanks Jane!

cathlabnurse

That is pretty cool Jane! Just looked at BB maps (have been using google) and you are right. It did have my exact location and gave perfect directions to my destination!!  :smileyhappy: 

jt12538

[ Edited ]

Jan and company,

I appreciate your feed back.

I am running V4.5 already, Actually, it's V4.5.0.77 (Platform 3.2.0.51). However, with Verizon it is triangulation only. Not true GPS. Blackberry should take better care of theri customers. At least tell them up front.

Maybe I was using the wrong link. If you really have BB Maps running on a 8330 under Verizon, post the link. Because it didn't down load for me.

jt

Message Edited by jt12538 on 03-11-2009 05:48 PM
Please use plain text.