Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Regular Contributor
My Device: curve 9300
My Carrier: mobinil

Blackberry curve 9300 not charging properly

I'm recently having a problem with the charging behavior of my 9300. I leave it to charge and it starts normally then I go back to it I find the sign of the plug on the battery indicator while the battery isn't fully charged yet. I pull out the plug and replug it again and still I get the plug sign on the battery. I did a battery pull out and plugged again, now what it does is that it starts charging and the battery flashes for about 30 seconds then it stops and I get the plug sign for 30 seconds. Then it starts flashing and charging again then stops. I normally charge my phone overnight so I hardly monitor the charging behavior. The only 2 times I monitored this happened. Also noticed that the phone is extra warm. So is all this normal? Us anyone having the same? Does it stop charging when it hears and starts again when it cools?
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Blackberry curve 9300 not charging properly

Hello!

It is possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor

Ok I just read on a thread that when the 9300 battery heats up it stops a charging for some reason till it cools down then stars charging again. Advice is to remove it from cover and charge it in a cool place. I only had this problem when I charge it in a non aircn air conditioned place. When the phone cooled, it started charging normally. Does this make sense? Will find the post and copy it for u to check
Regular Contributor

This is the post I found:
I think i just solved the 9300 not charging problem
I realized that when the battery temperature reach 42degree, it will stop charging
I don't know why. Maybe it stops for a safety precaution as when the battery gets hotter, it will damage the battery(maybe).
So my solution is to charge your BB in front of a fan or do something that can cool it off when charging.
Pull off the holster and the back cover, put the phone with keypads facing the table and let it have some ventilation going to the battery and it will charge normally.
lol I never had this problem with any other phones. Kinda funny
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

I have no way to validate nor invalidate any of that. It may have worked for that one individual, but that does not necessarily mean it's a problem/solution for everyone. If it works for you, then that might be your recommended course of action.

Personally, I wouldn't put up with it. I'd try to determine more of a root cause. If the battery is defective, it can act strangely (and the tests provided earlier could help validate this). If the BB is defective, it can act strangely (and the tests provided earlier could help validate this). If I have a lot of apps running that are constantly consuming resources, I'd expect my BB to heat up and the battery to drain quickly.

If I am under warranty, I would further seek formal support.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor

Thanks Sdgardne. I will try my best to find the necessary tools to diagnose where the fault is. Hopefully I can get one of my friends with a similar phone to let me make the tests. I've only had my phone since November though so it would b a disapointment if it is faulty Smiley Sad we'll see how things go. Thanks again for the prompt responses...