Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

My Device: Curve 9360

Blackberry curve 9360 battery issues?

I have a motorola atrix but I really want to switch to blackberry. I've always liked them but until recently I didn't have a stand alone mp3 player. My only issue is the model I'm looking at (Curve 9360) apparently has horrible battery life. Other than that it looks perfect for my needs. Does anyone have any advice or is the battery life really not bad? I've heard curves are notorious for amazing battery life and this model only lasts 12 hours at most. 

Thanks in advance,

KW

New Contributor
My Device: 9360 Unlocked BB

Re: Blackberry curve 9360 battery issues?

Hi, I just bought a 9360 a couple days ago. I love the device, but I do agree that my first impressions with the battery were not the best. If I start using it with a fully charged battery at 8am, it will be out of battery around 8-9pm with limited used (half a dozen light emails, a few IMs in GTalk, very light browsing).

The first couple days I tried limiting what I didn't use to improve battery life. For instance, I reduced the frequency at which Facebook, News feeds and Twitter refreshed, I reduced the screen brightness to 10% (Still incredible bright at this level and very readble in sunslight) and kept 3G on. It improved slightly (maybe 1h more of battery, or so), so I went looking for solutions.

I found that my phone's firmware wasn't the latest even though when trying to check for updates the device would tell me that the device was up-to-date.

So, I went looking for the latest firmwares, I'm currently running OS 7.0.0.530 Bundle 2229 that I found that Vodafone UK was providing. Even though I'm on Vodafone Portugal, I was able to install it on my device by removing the Vendor.XML file from the new firmware (if you don't know how to install a BB OS update, there's a nice post on crackberry.com about it, look for the 121 series there, or search something related with vendor.xml).

I have been using the phone since 8am today (it's now 3pm, 7 hrs later) and the battery has hardly dropped, I have checked a couple emails, did a few 5 min calls, have been on IM and have 85% of battery left with 7 hrs on. I'm on 3.5G network, location services on, refresh rates for FB are on 3hrs, news feed refresh are off (it will refresh when I open them and it takes a second), I also have notifications on so I don't feel I'm leaving anything out.

Still early to have confirmation that the battery issues I was experienced got solved with this updated firmware, but definitelly looks promising.

I don't mind charging every day (have always done that with all smartphones I used), but having to charge around 8pm was not a good experience with the previous firmware :smileyhappy:

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, thank you for your most informative post... 

I have been looking around crackberry and I cannot seem to find the post... do you think you could provide the direct link?

also, where is this vendor.xml file located exactly? (I have an unlocked phone, currently not even registered with a local carrier)

how could one install the update from vodafone UK?? directly from the phone???  how does that work??

sorry for the absolute newbie questions, I just want to give this a shot!

Thanks! 

New Contributor

Hi, my 9360 is also unlocked, I have a Vodafone PT simcard on it.

If you follow the instructions below you should be just fine, but remember to do a backup of the device (using the Desktop Manager software) before installing the new version.

By the way, it has been a couple days since my post here and I can confirm my battery on the 9360 now lasts 1.5-2 days and instead of just 6-8 hours like before. I have it set on 10% brightness (more than enough), 3.5G, location services on, FB refreshing every 3 hrs. I've been using it extensivelly and no longer have to worry about whether the battery is going to last the whole day or not. The 1.5-2 days is going to depend on your usage, but I think that even with extensive usage through the day it should last you the full day easy.

Here's what you need to do:

1) Start by downloading the firmware version from Vodafone UK here:

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=1141938BA2C2B13F5505D7C424EBAE5F

(selecte the latest version available for the 9360)

2) Follow the instructions on Crackberry here:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-install-or-upgrade-new-rim-operating-system-os

(note that this was written for previous versions of the blackberry OS but every step there is applicable to the new versions)

The link on crackberry explains how to install the upraged OS, how to remove the vendor.xml and all steps.

On my BB 9360 it took me about 45mins-1h to complete the whole process, from downloading the upgrade to installing it on the computer and then installing on the device.

NOTE: Don't forget to backup your device. At the end of the instalation process the installer will re-install all your apps, however you might need to configure some settings again (I noticed some apps I had had forgotten logins, like Facebook). Once I re-configured or provided the login details again, it worked just fine.

Let me know how it goes !

New Contributor

THANK YOU! This is amazing. I will give it a shot right now and it'll hopefully work!

quick question, reading the 101 guide of OS installation on crackberry, there is a bit that says: "Finally, you should click Next again, and you'll see an Application Loader summary page that explains how your device will need to be wirelessly activated and registered with your carrier after the new OS is installed—don't fret, this should happen automatically—and provides a brief summary of the installation process. "

I am currently unregistered (got the phone a couple of days ago), and I hence neither have a wireless provider (except for my home wi-fi network) nor an active PIN. I trust this won't be an issue right?? :Wacko:

Thanks again

New Contributor

Hmmm, if you're not registered how are you getting email ? I think you can only get email once you register with the Blackberry Internet Services (BIS) or BES services.

Nevertheless, I think it should work, if yours is running now on your wifi network, there should be no reason for it to stop working with the upgraded OS. Registerig the device on the network just enables push email, BBM, IM, maps and other apps your carrier may provide.

After the instalation completed, my BB registered on the network automatically, I didn't have to do anything other than just to follow the on-screen instructions on my computer. It was very straightforward and pain free.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the info...

I am trying to install the update, followed the instructions word by word in the guide and the Desktop Manager does not recognize the already-installed update. I downloaded the update, succesfully installed it, deleted the said Vendor.xml file, opened the Desktop manager, and it still insisted I am up to date (you and I know that I am not!). I even tried with the Loader app and nothing. I also uninstalled everything, installed the update first and THEN the desktop manager, and it didn't work either... it still would not recognize the update.... fml.

What version of Desktop Manager are you  using? Is there something I am missing? Could this be due the fact that I am yet to be registered with a carrier? 

EDIT: Reading the installation instructions on the support/vodafoneUK site, I read "Be sure to install the desktop software first, then the handheld software on your computer. The handheld software will update the software on your BlackBerry Wireless Handheld(TM)" --> So I am guessing, that for some reason, I need to register the device first and then try again... 

I've just did it and battery life improves significantly, now I hardly miss my old tour 9630. Thanks for the info.

New Contributor

Great ! Glad to be of help
New Contributor
My Device: curve 9360

will the warranty be valid if i do this update ?