Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
claudiath
My Device: blackberry curve 9360

Re: Blackberry shuts down when using camera, twitter or Facebook?

I have down loaded the desktop softwear but am un able to connect my BB as it's asking for a device password and when i enter is says it's incorrect? i don't know what other password it would be 

Contributor
claudiath

my blackberry has now completely changed my password and is saying i have a final attempt before it wipes the memory. 

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Oh how I wish you had stopped after no more than 3 failed attempts...now you only get one chance more before you lose everything. You should disconnect from your PC and enter the password via the on-device keyboard (lock it if you have to)...the password counter is the same for either input method.

The password prompted for by the Desktop Software and the password you assigned to lock your BB are indeed the same password. But, what I suspect is that you've got a mixture of different characters in your device password, and perhaps have not noticed how you must enter those on the BB keyboard. For instance, if your password is

• ab123

and you enter

• a > b > ALT > 1 > 2 > 3

the actual result will be

• ab1er

You must enter

• a > b > ALT > 1 > ALT > 2 > ALT > 3

in order to wind up with ab123. So, in this example, while on the BB keyboard you think you are typing ab123, you are actually typing ab1er.

On your BB, when you type your password, you should get just a moment where each character is shown in the clear before it changes to an *. Watch closely the next time and you may see a surprising result. It will be those exact characters that you must type on your PC keyboard as that's actually your password.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Oh, and BTW:

claudiath wrote:

my blackberry has now completely changed my password

On it's own, with no human intervention, that is completely impossible. Your password remains whatever it was when you enabled password lock security and created your password.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
claudiath

well i didn't change the password and i know exactly what it is

do i put in the arrows?? 

so if my password was 1234

i enter 1>2>3>4 on my pc?

Contributor
claudiath

or write ALT

Contributor
claudiath

sorry i miss read, on the device
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

claudiath wrote:

do i put in the arrows?? 

so if my password was 1234

i enter 1>2>3>4 on my pc?

No...you leave out the arrows...those are just to show separation in my example. If your password is

• ab123

then you must, on your BB, type

• abALT1ALT2ALT3

On the PC, you would instead type

• ab123

But, again, if on your BB, you are actually typing 

• abALT123

then your password actually is

• ab1er

and you'd need to type that on your PC.

Hopefully you can interpret all of that...it's rather hard, in written text, to get across the exactness that is needed in passwords. 

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
claudiath

i think i get it 

i hold ALT press 1 release ALT 

press ALT press 2 realease ALT

press ALT press 3 realease ALT

press ALT press 4

is this what you mean?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

On your specific BB, I don't know if you have to hold the ALT while you press the number, of if you just press/release ALT and then press the number. But, for each number, you indeed must use the ALT modifier on each character...if, as the example shows, you only use the ALT on the first number character, then only that one is truly a number, and those that follow are actually the letter equivalents rather than the numbers you may have intended.

Again, on the PC keyboard, the ALTs are not relevant...the PC keyboard has specific keys for the numbers, and does not require the use of the ALT modifier to change the function of the key to a number (which is what the ALT key modifier does on the BB keyboard).

Again, the thing to do is disconnect from the computer and enter your password normally on your BB. Successfully doing that will reset the counter and give you 10 more attempts when you again try to connect to your computer. On your BB, you should get that momentary time when you can see each password character "in the clear" (in other words, before it changes to *) which will show you exactly what your password really is.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates