Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
My Device: Sprint 8330

Bluetooth connected but want to talk on phone

Hi all. Newbie here.

While Bluetooth headset enabled and paired...a call comes in. Sometimes I want to talk with the headset, then I just tap the button on the Bluetooth headset. That works fine.

But...when I prefer to talk directly into the phone....how do I do that? I tried answering by pressing the green TALK button on the phone. But the call was routed to the Bluetooth headset. That's dumb! If I wanted to talk on Bluetooth, I would have hit that button on the headset. The reason I am hitting the TALK button on the phone is I want to talk on the phone. I have my reasons such as not being able to dig out the Bluetooth headset at the moment; or simply do not want to wear it at the time.

Is there a way? 

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Bluetooth connected but want to talk on phone

Hi Amy,

Once you pair your headset to the BB you can not use the handset, the connection is routed to the Bluetooth.

You have to disable the connection before you can use the handset again. On my Jara I have to hold the answer button down until I hear a tone, and it's disconnected. The blue light is the indicator on the BB that your head set is connected.

Once I turn off my headset, my blue light (Bluetooth indicator) is turned off.

Other than disabling/enabling  your headset, there is no way to go back and forth as you would like.

Sorry! But I hope this helps...

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310 & Bold

During a phone call with a Bluetooth headset connected you can press the Option key and will have the selection to use the headset or phone.  This is one way to switch back and forth however, with the headset connected it will always default to the headset.
Guru I

Thanks MWF I OBVIOUSLY didn't know that :smileyhappy:

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

mwf5888 wrote:
During a phone call with a Bluetooth headset connected you can press the Option key and will have the selection to use the headset or phone. This is one way to switch back and forth however, with the headset connected it will always default to the headset.

My Curve (Sprint) does not have that option. I do not believe this dumbness exists only in Sprint's Curves.

To be clear...

During an incoming call, there are two buttons you can press on the phone. Green TALK and red END. You can press the Blackberry Menu button (Options) too. But that does NOT give Headset/Handset choice. Dumbly enough, it spits out TALK and END...where TALK sends the call to the bluetooth headset.

Message Edited by amy_wallace on 08-07-2008 07:35 AM
Guru I

What model do you have, the option for activate handset works on my Curve 8330.

Let me know!

Super Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9530

First answer the call with the bt headset.  After the call is answered, use the menu key (left of trackball).  Then you should be able to choose "activate handset" or "activate speakerphone".

John

** Don't forget to resolve your post with the accepted solution.
Contributor

jrdante...I am sure your procedure works.

But I am angered by the design stupidity of the Blackberry.

As I stated before...from time to time...there are occasions where your HANDset is more readily available than the HEADset. At such situation, while BT is actively paired, the user clearly wants to hit TALK on the HANDset and talk on the HANDset. Not being able to dig the BT out of the purse could be one reason.

This may be NOT a Blackberry issue. It could well be a bad Bluetooth implementation where the stupid BT guidelines strictly make the HEADset have exclusive talk priviledge ONCE it's paired successfully. Calls can only be transferred later after you answer them on BT HEADset. This is a lame implementation that does not work in a situation where the user cannot answer the call on BT headset - like... it is burried in the purse or has fallen to the floor in the car.

I am going out for a witch-hunt. When I find out this is a BT spec, or BB stupidity, I will let you guys know. (I have a friend who works in Motorola's BT division.)

Super Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9530

I beleive this is written in the Blackberry (or any other device).  Once the bluetooth is connected as you said, it automatically goes to the bt.  I know every phone does this.  Once connected, the phone is thinking "the bt is connected, they must want to use that device".  I do not know of a phone that does not do this.

Let us know what you find out.

** Don't forget to resolve your post with the accepted solution.
Guru I

JRdante,

In fact Blackberry is the only phone I've seen where you actually get the option of bypassing the connection.

Another great option!