Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Visitor
kennyy
My Device: Not Specified

Bookmark Manager does not open URLS

[ Edited ]

Synced my Mac PowerBook with Curve 8330 and transfered bookmarks from Safari creating a Bookmark Manager icon on Curve. Opened icon, used shift key to open folder displaying name & URL address of site, highlighted wanted site, used Menu key and selected Open Bookmark but nothing happens.  How do I open sites from the Bookmark Manager?  These bookmarks are not listed in Bookmarks when the Browser is open.  As a postscript, I downloaded the updated driver from Blackberry for PocketMac and installed it before restart thereby being able to do a good sync.

Message Edited by kennyy on 06-24-2008 08:30 AM
Message Edited by kennyy on 06-24-2008 08:31 AM
Message Edited by kennyy on 06-24-2008 08:31 AM
Message Edited by kennyy on 06-24-2008 08:32 AM
New Contributor
erikmt

Re: Bookmark Manager does not open URLS

I am having the exact same problem as kennyy with my Curve 8330.  My bookmarks have been successfully pushed from my MacBook Pro to my blackberry but they only show up under the Bookmark Manager application and they will not open.  I made sure to install the updated driver before installing the Bookmark Manager application but I can't get any of the bookmarks to open.  Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums,

What driver did you install?

Also by bookmark manager I take it to mean the bookmarks under the options in your browser?

Please let me know!

Message Edited by Bifocals on 08-10-2008 01:14 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
erikmt

Hi and thanks for the welcome.  When I installed PocetMac for BlackBerry and opened the Sync 

Manager program and selected the "Bookmarks" tab, I then selected the box to push bookmarks from the Mac to the BlackBerry.  Below this box is the text "This option requires special software to be installed to your BlackBerry".  I then clicked on the "Install" button and was prompted that the software was successfully installed.  All of the bookmarks that are on my Mac transfered to my BlackBerry when I synced the two, however when I select one of the bookmarks in the new Bookmark Manager application and select "open", nothing happens.  The original "Browser" application works fine and I'm able to bookmark pages here and organize them, etc. but nothing seems to happen in the new Bookmarks Manager application other than having a list of all the bookmarked pages from my laptop.  I'm hoping I don't have to cut and paste all these bookmarks into the Browser application or open them individually and then bookmark them!  I certainly appreciate any help.

Guru I
Bifocals

Sorry, I tried a search through the database and could not duplicate your situation. I was born and raised a windows guy :smileyhappy: so I can't speak to the Mac. Keep reading, someone will answer this I'm sure.

Sorry I could help more!

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor
erikmt

Thanks much for the attempt.  When I was searching, the only post I came across was the one from kennyy which was posted back in June but described the same problem I was having.  It may turn out to be a Mac compatibility issue.  Hopefully somebody will have an answer!  Thanks again for trying.
Guru I
Bifocals

I found an article on Pinstack where people were having problems with the bookmark manager. I will include it.

AS a workaround, you can email the links to yourself and add them to the bookmarks in the browser. Depends how much patience and how many bookmarks you have, I guess :smileyhappy:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/14407-8700_editing_bookmarks_bookmark_manager.html

Hope this helps!

New Contributor
erikmt

Thanks for the link, I'll do some research.  I was thinking the same thing that I could e-mail them to myself and bookmark them.  Guess I now have something to do when I need to kill some time!
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

erikmt wrote:
I was thinking the same thing that I could e-mail them to myself and bookmark them.

You can ask your desktop browser (Apple Safari or Mozilla Firefox) to export your bookmarks.

You can export into a HTML file, and then upload the file on your personal webserver, and then on your blackberry, bookmark that page (or even more... set it as homepage of your Blackberry browser).

you can export into a json file, and tweak it with perl or awk.

you can probably also export to a csv file and tweak it with OpenOffice Calc, to make a single text that you can email to yourself.

Takes a bit time, but not much more than typing 10 bookmarks.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
erikmt

Excellent suggestion, thanks so much.  I did as you said and e-mailed the bookmarks list to my BlackBerry as an HTML file and am now able to click on them and they will open.  I'll work on tweaking it a bit to clean things up.  As it stands, I wont have any use for the Bookmark Manager application and may just delete it as your suggestion will allow me to put all the bookmarks in my Browser application.  Thanks!