Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
Bypass

Bypass data plan

Heya..

I'm new and you probably heard this alot.. so forgive me :smileyhappy:

Is it possible to bypass the data plan? i mean i want to be able to use the app such as twitter and googletalk with wi-fi connection (not with data plan). After reading few posts i found a clue that it is possible and i dont have to be connected to the BlackBerry Infrastructure but i dont know how to implement this.

Thanks.

I just want to use the applications as a normal person :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
clydefrog

Re: Bypass data plan

It's possible.  First back up your phone with desktop manager in case you need to revert anyting back.

2) Under advanced options/tcp/ip disable all APN settings and save

3) change phone time source from blackberry to OFF

4) Now here's the kicker.  Under the home screen/manage connections/mobile network options, you would/should turn DATA OFF.  That should be it.

However.............. turning data off also seems to disable the wifi and that's not supposed to happen according to some of the "technicians" in here.  I myself do lose wifi when I do this and so have several others in here.  This is a bug and one that I have not got an answer on.  Pester the Heck out of any technicians you come across in here until this gets resolved.

In the mean time, i contacted my service provider and asked that they block all data on my sim card. It cost a one time $5 service fee but it's going to save me tons in the long run since i can't disable data as i'm supposed to be able to on the phone right now.  Once my service provider did this, I went from GPRS to regular good old GSM (i'm overseas).  no data charges since then and I can leave data on so that my wife keeps woring and i don't get charge a cent now. 

I have free wifi logicmail setup with gmail and free gps thanks to MGMaps and mapcacher!  Blackberry's without data plans really do work.  Just takes the time to research how to do it!!!!!!!!

If this helps, feel free to give me some Kudos!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Bypass

Thanks. I knew its doable :smileyhappy:

well i'm more interested in bypassing this blackberry infrastructure in order to use the 3rd apps such as twitter/facebook/googletalk so by doing what you wrote might help me? 

I really want to enjoy this mobile but without paying extra to my carrie :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
clydefrog

For what you have in mind, yes that will work.  However, not for all apps.  I don't use twitter or google talk so I'm not sure if they only work with data plans or are capable of working solely with wifi.

As long as the specific application supports wifi, then what I described above will work.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lilshorty

i dont understand....i did everything u instructed but still cant use the facebook app. .... it says some like "u need a data plan to use this"

and my first question is.... how do i even get apps?? if i dont have a data plan like the first person in this post.... i have the same exact case as bypass and i really want to use apps on this phone as well as games

is there any way to access appworld with wifi?

Please use plain text.
Visitor
colinulrik
My Carrier: T-mobile

Many of the apps are known as OTA or Over The Air applications which are usually .jad files which download and install directly to your mobile phone from your mobile browser. many applications found online through a desktop computer connected to the internet will have a url that you must enter into your mobile browser. For instance; if you would like to isntall LogicMail on your blackberry you would type http://www.logicmail.sf.net/ota into the blackberry web browser, once the page is finished loading your blackberry installer will ask you whether or not to download/install the file. Now, here is the catch, first you must have a way to access the internet through your mobile device, this can be done through a wifi connection such as one found on a college campus, or in your house. another way would be through a data plan, but since you dont want a data plan we will need to do this over wifi. I first got my wifi connection to work by installing a 3rd party browser called Opera mini to my blackberry. To install this file you must use a desktop computer that is connected to the internet. find the file online

www.opera.com/mini/download/pc/blackberry

once this is downloaded to the computer you must use Blacberry's desktop manager to transfer the file via USB to your blackberry device. now that his is installed you can simply connect your blackberry to a wifi connection using the WiFi Set UP service on your phone. once connected open the Opera Mini icon and begin browsing the internet. However, with just opera mini, you can not download OTA files. Also I believe that you can use Blackberry's defualt browser to access wifi connections by going into blackberry's Options-->Advanced Options-->Applications. Scroll to Browser and use the Menu button to edit default permissions. Then Allow Connections, Allow Interactions and Allow User Data. Also for both browsers (Opera mini, and blackberry default) i believe you must edit TCP options. to do this Blackberry Options--> Advanced Options-->TCP now the tcp options vary from wireless provider to wireless provider. here is a link for TCP settings. find your mobile carrier and insert the appropriate TCP options.

http://forums.pinstack.com/f24/tcp_apn_wap_gateway_and_port_carrier_settings-360/

More information: http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Connect-to-Internet-with-Your-BlackBerry-without-Paying-For-Data-Plan

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jriano
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

I don't have a data plan, so I can only use apps that run over Wi-Fi. There are altenative apps that do this. There are apps that do Facebook, Twitter, IM, Email, Search. Now unless you want to hack your Blackberry, the regular apps like Facebook for Blackberry won't work, you have to find alternatives.

If you want to see the list of free apps I use that work over Wi-Fi, see my blog post.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
denanlazarus

Facebook 1.5 works without data plan and i have tried it

Get the link from google (it's with crackberry)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jriano
My Carrier: T-Mobile

The above link is no longer valid, the new link is this:

http://juanriano.com/post/1035184829/free-blackberry-apps-that-run-over-wi-fi

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
aashishrazdan

if u need facebook in specific, look for Facebook Version 1.6. its the only version which works without BIS/BES. configure the APN settings as per your network provider and enjoy Facebook native app.

Please use plain text.