Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
Greg_Tingey
My Device: curve 9320
My Carrier: Orange

CANNOT GET EMAIL ( & ringtone is pathetic)

No matter what I do, I cannot get my phone to register my email address.
AT ALL

I have been around this several times ......

HELP

Similarly, I have a (bought-in) ringtone which is much too quiet.

Where & how can I get a louder one (that pays the tune I want, that is) as the BB ones are revolting, as are almost all the tones actually supplied by any phone manufacturere, actually!

The first problem is the important one though.

I've had this phone for two months now ... grrr .....

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: CANNOT GET EMAIL ( & ringtone is pathetic)

Hello,

Greg_Tingey wrote:

No matter what I do, I cannot get my phone to register my email address.
AT ALL

I have been around this several times ......

HELP

Please provide the exact steps you attempt, the exact result of each step, and the exact and complete content of any error messages presented. From what you've said, I can think of perhaps 6 or so different possibilities...and need to know which one you are trying.

Greg_Tingey wrote:

Similarly, I have a (bought-in) ringtone which is much too quiet.

Where & how can I get a louder one (that pays the tune I want, that is) as the BB ones are revolting, as are almost all the tones actually supplied by any phone manufacturere, actually!

You will just have to shop around for something that is exactly what you want. There are thousands of possibilities. Have you, however, adjusted the ring tone volume higher (inside of your Sounds or Profiles app)?

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Greg_Tingey

Easy one first:  Ringtone …noted & thanks – I’ll try elsewhere [ If anyone knows of a really loud Mussorgsky “Pictures @ an exhibition” notes – let me know! ]

And yes, of course I’ve got the volume turned to maximum

RIGHT …

E-mail.

Steps taken AGAIN …

Setup …

Email accounts ….

Add another email address ….

Other ….

Enter e-mail address .. so I do that:….

Password … I do that

& show password (to make sure I’ve got it right) ….

Continue …

The SAME MESSAGE I ALWAYS GET:
“Invalid email address or password.
Verify your email address & password.

If error persists contact [$email-provider]”

Now what?

Greg T.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Greg_Tingey wrote:

Setup …

Email accounts ….

Add another email address ….

Other ….

Enter e-mail address .. so I do that:….

Password … I do that

& show password (to make sure I’ve got it right) ….

Continue …

The SAME MESSAGE I ALWAYS GET:
“Invalid email address or password.
Verify your email address & password.

If error persists contact [$email-provider]”

Ah, that does help a great deal...thank you!

Some questions...

1. What email service is this please?
  2. Is it OWA?
  3. Are you able to access this from other clients (e.g., Android, iPhone, WebMail, Outlook client, etc.) using the exact same credentials (with the exact case sensitivity, numbers, special characters, etc.)?
  4. When you show the password, you are checking that...but just to be sure, are you also checking for exactness re: case sensitivity, special characters, etc.? (also in the email address)

Some suggestions...

• Some email systems will not configure in the automated way...if you know your server settings (ports, server url's, etc.), you can manually input those by providing, to the email setup screen, the valid email address but an intentionally incorrect password. That should recycle the screen to request the credentials again, but adds to the bottom of the screen a tic box for providing the settings manually...tic that box and proceed and you will be presented with screens into which you would enter the additional settings.
  • From a PC/browser, you can try your carriers BIS website...unfortunately, I don't know which Orange you are on, so can't provide you a link...but they should be able to tell you that.
  • From your BB Browser, try www.blackberry.com/integrate
  • Your carrier agents can configure it for you...though you have to reveal your email credentials to them, which IMHO is always a risky thing to do

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Greg_Tingey

email service is "PIPEX" now part of "Talk Talk"

1. the latter part of the log-in is ....***@dsl.pipex.com

2. WHAT OWA ??? Uh?  No comprende.

3. I have done in the past ....

4. yes

What a BIS website?    Np cpmprende again

"carrier agents" - again I do not understand what you are saying.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OWA is Outlook Web Access, a method that email service providers can provide as an access method for WebMail. You would access it via a PC web browser -- but it looks, feels, and operates much like the full Outlook client. When you access it via your PC browser, it is rather obvious that it is such. I ask because sometimes OWA integrations with BBs are tricky.

As for having accessed the email separately (from the BB) in the past, please try to do so now...to validate that the email credentials you are providing to the BB email setup wizard are indeed correct.

BIS = BlackBerry Internet Service. It is the BB-proprietary services, which includes email, that is delivered to your BB from your Mobile Service Provider/Carrier (in your case, Orange). So, "Carrier" = "Mobile Service Provider" = Orange. Hence, "Carrier Agent" = a person at Orange, who you would ring up for formal support and assistance. Somewhere in your contractual documentation with Orange should be contact information for you to do so.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Greg_Tingey

One slight problem

My Orange account is ancient & I can't remember my LOGIN ...[note]

so I can't get in, at all to the Orange My account web-page ....

note: Is it IntialDOIT flastname

FirstnameLastname

FirstnameDOT latsname

Fistname SPACE lLastname etc .......

& BB internet is useless if I can't get email in the first place, surely?

I mean, I ve had a mobile phone since about 1996 ... the first was lost & rthe second broken - which was replaced immediately, with the same SIMcard ...& that physical phne was over 5 years old - I decided to supposedly upgrade to a modern one that had all the trimmings & it's been nothing nut trouble & hassle & won't do half of what it is supposed to.
What's the point?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK...given everything you have now described, I really think you need to ring up Orange. They control all of your services and are responsible for all of your formal service-level support. Since you don't know your login information, you need to talk to them to reset that anyway.

It's also possible that this BB is not properly configured on their network, given the switcharounds you've done...but, again, only an agent at Orange would have access to the "back end" systems so as to diagnose what exactly is going on. All we can do here is take the symptoms you describe and try to deduce something...which is basically guesswork...sometimes a SWAG, but all too often just a WAG (you can google those terms for their meaning).

I really think you will much quicker get this resolved if you just ring up Orange...remember, you PAY THEM for all of your services and all of your formal service-level support...I recommend you try and get your money's worth out of them.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Greg_Tingey

After typing the last message, I went out, early, & called at the local Orange/EE shop on the way.
I can now get login-in to my "Orange" account - they changed the log-in to the phone number(!)

I have not yet had time to do anything with that, but I'll have probe around, & see what I can find.

Nontheless,a flat refusal by BB to recognise the email address that I am typing this from really is neither good enough, nor acceptable.

After all, I got a BB in the first place for two reasons:

1: I point-blank refuse to have anything with the apple logo on it.

2: My wife has an office-supplied BB, with the 'phone function turned OFF (!) - she uses it for e-mails & it is very convenient.  So, I decided I would have this great advantage as wel, but it is the one thing I can't get.

Which is ridiculous.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I don't understand. Exactly who is flatly refusing you something? I agree that you have some issues, but I fail to understand why you refuse to use your contractually required support channel to resolve all of this...that channel is Orange. Your contract is with Orange, not with RIM...further, that contract REQUIRES you to go to Orange for ALL front line first level support, and they can escalate to RIM if they need to. Further, as I've said, only Orange has access to the "back end" systems necessary to diagnose your issues...no one here, on this user-to-user volunteer-supported community has such access.

I'm honestly quite confused by all of this...to me, it's quite simple...you have an issue...you have a contract for support...you need to exercise that contract within it's terms (to which you agreed when you purchased your device and/or signed up for BB-level services from Orange). So far, Orange has successfully resolved one of your issues...they remain responsible to resolve the rest of them as well.

Perhaps you think that you are, here in this forum, working with RIM? If that's the case, please review everything more carefully...as such is not the case. I don't work for RIM, and this site is not a channel for any communications with RIM.

Anyway, I'm confused, but I wish you luck in resolving all of this...I do hope you will choose to follow the support channels that you are, by contract, required to use. For I believe that is your sole method of actually resolving all of this.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.