Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

skipfoster
My Device: Not Specified

CNN Alerts

I'm not real sure at which point I subscribed, but I'm receiving CNN alerts. The unsubscribe link on the alert doesn't work because it is asking for an email address. I didn't sign up via email, but I think SMS. Anyone with help on unsubscribing to these???
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: CNN Alerts

Email customer service at CNN and opt out!
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

skipfoster
My Device: Not Specified

Yes, I understand that should work, however it is not sending it to an email address. It is sending to my SMS on my Blackberry. I have been to the CNN site and following the unsubscribe link in the message. It is asking for an email address. I'm not using one. Somewhere in the set up process of starting up my new Blackberry, I , stupidly, agreed to receive these alerts.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

I realize you are getting text messages, I should have been more explicit.

Since you cannot give the email address from the text message, I was saying call or email the people at CNN customer service to stop the test messages.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
trlightning
My Device: Blackberry 8900

Beware... I've been receiving dozens of emails at work with "CNN.com Daily Top 10" or "CNN Alerts: My Custom Alert" in the subject line and did a little research. Apparently it is malware, especially since you do not remember signing up for it. The malware is spread by clicking on the "Full Story" link in the message. A web search will give more information.

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

trlightning wrote:

Beware... I've been receiving dozens of emails at work with "CNN.com Daily Top 10" or "CNN Alerts: My Custom Alert" in the subject line and did a little research. Apparently it is malware, especially since you do not remember signing up for it. The malware is spread by clicking on the "Full Story" link in the message. A web search will give more information.

TR Lightling is right, I received dozens of these emails today. It's just spam. With scam in it. It's contains a trojan that can harm your computer and auto-send itself to all your address book.You can read more joyful stories here :

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=533

If you're using an email provider that is up to this century, it should have a spam filter system that you can feed (ham/spam). Do it.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Forums Advisor III
lorriem1222
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

Have you hit "reply" and sent the word "stop" as the message? I know this is how you normally stop recurring text messages from a company. If anyone knows if it is damaging to your system to open or respond to the message please say so! I do not want to cause harm to anyones device.
~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

lorriem1222 wrote:
Have you hit "reply" and sent the word "stop" as the message? I know this is how you normally stop recurring text messages from a company. If anyone knows if it is damaging to your system to open or respond to the message please say so! I do not want to cause harm to anyones device.

It can harm indirectly, by signaling that your email is available to be spammed.

I did a small explanation of how spams work and get enhanced by its victims here :

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&message.id=5857&query.id=30836#M...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: