Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
capabilitymegan
My Device: Curve 8520
Accepted Solution

Can't copy any files onto phone, but have plenty of memory

My blackberry is only a few months old and a few days ago I tried to copy a podcast onto it and the following message came up:

The item “...” can’t be copied because there isn’t enough free space.

I then deleted a file the same size and tried again, but the same message came up. I then deleted all of the 1 album and two podcasts I had on it, and got the same message. I then went on to delete everything else, inbox, photos, videos, etc. I have no games or anything installed, and if I checked available space and it says I have 130215377 Bytes file free.

Is my Blackberry just broken or am I doing something wrong?

Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Can't copy any files onto phone, but have plenty of memory

Try doing a battery pull. While the device is on, remove the battery for 15-30 seconds, reinsert and wait for the device to reboot. Does this help? If not, can you try using a microSD card in your device?

If none of that helps, there are some other things that we can try in escalation. To do that, just let me know if you do have a microSD card installed on the device or if you are just using the internal memory on the device, etc.

Good luck!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
capabilitymegan

I did the battery pull twice and no luck. Somehow managed to transfer one file to the Blackberry however not entirely sure how as it kept telling me it hadn't been copied because there was no space. So that means the memory card must work, it just seems to be sporadic. I did have a message come up saying that I had a damaged media card, and would I like to try and fix it and pressed yes and it said it had fixed it. That was right before the song appeared, but have tried copying a second file and got the old message again.

Thanks for the help!

Elite I
Krypto

Can you try a new media card? It might just be that your media card has become irreparably damaged. Media cards do have a tendency to fail after a certain amount of time, and that may be what's happening here.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
capabilitymegan

I shall give that a go, but the Blackberry is only a couple months old so if that's the case I shan't be buying another one. Far too many problems! Thanks for your help :smileyhappy:

Elite I
Krypto

Well, if it's a memory card issue, it's an issue that could pop up in any device. That doesn't have to do with your BlackBerry. But be aware (and you may hate me for saying this), but if you have a Curve 8520, do remember that you're using technology that is 3-4 years old now. Even though the device may be new, it's still old, so don't expect it to do more than a 3-4 year old device.

New Contributor
capabilitymegan

I appreciate that, but I bought the phone because I had the same one before and it never had any problems even when it was 2 years old. It is a pain having a new phone that can't record, take photos, or store music. I may as well have bought a one for 15 quid. I didn't realize that buying new but old models meant they were more likely to break, I just thought it meant they wouldn't have all the new updates and things.

Elite I
Krypto

Are you using the same media card as from the old phone? If so, that likely is your issue. I don't think this is a device issue, but rather a media card issue. So try a different media card. I think you'll find it starts working correctly, but if not, let us know.

New Contributor
capabilitymegan

It's not, I may try swapping with the old media card now to see if that works. Wil let you know it that doesn't work.

New Contributor
capabilitymegan

It worked! Thanks for your help :smileyhappy: