Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
weleasewodewick
My Device: Curve 9320
My Carrier: Vodafone Ireland

Can't use headphones on curve 9320

Hi. I'm trying to use standard 3.5mm jack headphones on my curve. However for a start they don't seem to fit very well (they don't go all the way down). Secondly when in all they way all I get is a kind of a low clicking noise. If I pull the connector out slightly I can just about get it to play but the sound quality is poor. Does this ring any bells? Same thing happens with multiple headphones and whether I'm playing an MP3 or using the radio. Another colleague of my has the exact same issue.

The OS is 7.10 bundle 1319.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Can't use headphones on curve 9320

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Non-OEM headsets often have this problem. The OEM headsets have three sections of contact (two black bands on the post), so as to include the microphone component. Headsets not designed to include the microphone may only have two contact sections (only one black band), and if those are not spaced properly on the headset plug, they can mis-align inside of the port, resulting in exactly what you describe.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
weleasewodewick

Thanks a million for the quick reply.

My headphones have 2 black bands so based on what you're saying I think they should be ok. It's odd because they don't feel like they go in properly - even all the way in they are too easy to pull out, they never click into place. As I say a colleague of mine has the same model and exact same issue. I guess its something to do with needing a certain type of headphone but none of the documentation indicates that anything other than 3.5mm headphones are needed. We're checking here with work tech support but I won't hold my breath there.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Actually, regardless of 1 or 2 black bands, they should fit properly into the connection. If they are loose, that would indicate to me that there is a problem with the port, which would be a hardware issue...if you have warranty, you should be seeking formal support via that channel. A port that does not maintain proper contact with the post will never provide reliable signal through the connection, regardless of if the post is the proper 2-band type or not.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
weleasewodewick

Thanks again. I'll get it checked out. Odd that it's not just my one.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bradymd
My Device: 9320
My Carrier: giffgaff

I have a new 9320 from Carphone warehouse (uk). No 3.5mm cable attaches nicely like any othe phone, they all can be pulled loose quite easily. So, no headphone, no cable to your aux in car or speakers in house.

I have sent it back on warranty, and they say, there is no problem.

I can only conclude its a design fault and so on that basis, perhaps this forum can comment.

Does anyone claim that th e9320 3.5mm aux port is like any other phone?

Some of us out here love their music, and we owe it to others to have this issue ironed out.

I have an 8520 BB for example (purchased while 9320 was on its mending trip) and its fine with all cables.

Please .. .all 9320 users !! are you sure its normal on yours?

Come on, I love BB but we have to know the truth. Maybe its a design fault, or is Carphone Warehouse selling a bad batch?

Please use plain text.