Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
Frustrated_User
My Device: Curve 8320

Cannot connect BlackBerry via USB

I'm a newbie here and hoping someone can help.

I just inherited a Curve 8320 and am trying to install Desktop Manager on my Dell Inspiron laptop.

I downloaded all the software, but when I tried to install Desktop Manager, I got this message: Before you begin, verify that your current Blackberry device is connected to your computer.

Easy enough, I plug it in via the USB. The BB gets a pop-up: USB charging current is not sufficient. Verify that your handheld is connected to a powered USB charging source and that the proper USB driver is installed.

The BB is fully charged, so it's not a charging issue. I tried everything. Downloading the driver separately (get a message it's already installed), unplugging all other devices. Nothing works.  I cannot get beyond that message with Desktop Manager.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling.. then I tried installing an earlier software version... tried six different ports and three different USB cords.  Nothing works.  I always get the message about the charging current not sufficient and the computer does not recognize the BlackBerry.

I've used all sorts of external devices - ipods, hard drives, cameras, phones - with my computer and never had a problem until now. I just can't get this BlackBerry to work.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.  I've been at this for hours and I'm starting to think there's an iPhone in my future.

Thanks!
Forums Advisor III
kijanasmart
My Device: 8330

Re: Cannot connect BlackBerry via USB

Welcome to the forums :smileyhappy:

Try the suggestions in this KB article: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10938

Cheers,

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
New Contributor
Frustrated_User

Appreciate the suggestion, but been there, done that, and the problem is not resolved.  I tried three different software versions (two downloaded from BlackBerry.com, one from T-Mobile), six ports and three USB cords (which are working fine with other devices), confirmed that power management is turned off.  The computer is not detecting the BlackBerry at all and I am still getting the "USB charging current is not sufficient" message.

Forums Advisor III
kijanasmart

Have you tried using a wall charger or tried charging on another computer?

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
New Contributor
Frustrated_User

Even though the message refers to charging, the BlackBerry is fully charged and has no problem charging from a wall charger.  The problem is that  my laptop does not recognize the BlackBerry at all, either with Desktop Manager or even just as a connected device. Every time I connect it, the BlackBerry gets the "USB charging current is not sufficient..."  pop-up.

Forums Advisor III
kijanasmart

Did you try suggestions 2 and 6 in the link I gave earlier?

Otherwise try to uninstall the Blackberry Destkop Manager (DTM) using this guide: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02206

Download Blackberry Desktop Manager 5.0 over here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

What version of DTM are you using? What OS is running on your computer? XP, Vista?

Kijana
Please remember to:
Forums Advisor III
kijanasmart

And a Battery Pull may help as well:
1. Remove the battery while phone is turned on
2. Wait a few seconds before inserting it again
3. Allow the long boot up process to finish (takes a few minutes usually)

This clears most software issues that occur on blackberries from time to time. You could also use Quickpull, a free app that simulates a battery pull without physically removing the battery: http://store.berryreview.com/product.asp?id=27660&n=QuickPull-Free
A battery pull reclaims memory lost during application usage and clears minor software errors that creep in over time. The blackberry runs an OS just like your PC runs windows and the battery pull is the equivalent of a reboot/restart on your computer.

Kijana
Please remember to:
New Contributor
Frustrated_User

I tried everything except #6 because I was advised not to delete the root hub.  #2 does not apply because my computer does not detect the BlackBerry at all.

I installed Desktop Manager, uninstalled it, reinstalled it... then uninstalled it, tried an earlier version (4.2 SP2).  That didn't work either, so I tried going to the T-Mobile site and then downloaded and installed version 4.6.0.14.

The problem does not seem to be the battery in the BlackBerry, it charges fine.  The problem is that the computer does not recognize the BlackBerry when I connect it via USB.  Is the Battery Pull likely to affect that?

Really appreciate your help!

New Contributor
Frustrated_User

Forgot to add, my OS is Vista.

Noturdaddy
My Device: 8900 Curve

I am having pretty much the same problem. I have unintstalled desktop manager several times and reinstalled. I have done all the steps in removing registry entries and reset my 8900. But...

I still have the same issue. when I hook up my blackberry I can use media manager but not the destop manager becaused it doesnt recognize my device as being connected... bizarre. I am using vista was well and I suspect something is stopping it from being recognized by the software. Its not a hardware issue proven by the device manager moving things to and fro. This is my first blackberry and I dont think I will keep it long enough to see if its going to make life easier because I have spent hours just trying to get the stinking interface going... waste of huge time.