Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
vanib
My Device: Curve 9300

Cannot send text messages

HI

Starting 10 days ago, I cannot send text messages. i can still receive text messages.

I tested my phone with a colleague who has an iphone. He receives a record that I am texting him but the message is null. I also texted a family member on her Android phone and she gets nothing.

Here's what I have done:

1. I did a hard reset twice. I removed the battery and even the SIM card in the process.

2. Soft reset once using the Alt, **bleep**, Del key.

3. Checked if my BB had the latest sotfware. It did It currently has OS 6 with bundle 2647.

4. Wind Mobile Canada has reset my PIN

5. I re-registered my phone as guided by the Wind Mobile tech support. I got an email from BB saying "Your handheld has been registered with the wireless network".

What else could I try?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Cannot send text messages

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

FYI...step 5 (and perhaps 4) that you attempted would actually have no effect. SMS is part of your voice-only services, and is not impacted by anything to do with data. (MMS would depend on data, but not pure SMS.)

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens. If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

If the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then there will be more drastic things to attempt...but let us know how Safe Mode works out first.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vanib

I tried removing all software.
I re-intsalled my BB OS 6 with latest version
I tried installing a previous version of BB OS 6

I am still not able to send the text message. However recipients get a text saying NULL with a header showing my phone number.

I tried texting myself and after a second I receive the text! Is the message actually going to the server before getting back to me or is the phone realising that it can deliver the message locally and does not bother going to the server?

I am thinking the first option might be more realistic but then why are others not receiving my messages ????

Any thoughts?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vanib

I am also tried using safe mode but that did not help.

How can i tell if it is the phone hardware, OS or my provided who is messing up?
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Since the problem only recently started, you need to consider what changed just before the behavior began. For example...if you happen to be on BES, have your BES admins perhaps placed a restriction on the use of SMS? Likewise, did you happen to install anything just before this started?

Then again, you've done many things already to try and diagnose. Have you, however, installed an OS package "bare bones", where you leave off anything at all that is in any way "optional"?

SMS is part of voice level services...as such, the only people who have access to anything "behind the scenes" to look into why is your mobile service provider. I would recommend that you take all of these symptoms and diagnostic attempts to them and convince them to help you figure it out. Consider -- you pay them for 100% of your service and 100% of your service-related support...right now, they seem to be delivering neither to you.

However -- if you did not also buy your device from your provider, then it's entirely possible that they will claim the problem to be device-related rather than service-related. Such is the common "catch-22" situation when one buys there device and services from separate entities, for then each entity is responsible for their own portion of your support, and quite often will "blame" the other when the root cause may well be theirs. But, again, only they can look "behind the scenes" to see why.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vanib

Hi

I bought the phone from my service provider, Wind Mobile.

I called them more than a week ago. They did not seem to be able to troubleshoot much.

They then told me to call BlackBerry ... but I have to pay for support with BB right?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

vanib wrote:

I bought the phone from my service provider, Wind Mobile.

That's excellent! Therefore there is only one source for all of your issues. They are responsible not only for your service-related issues, but also your device-related issues. Excellent. They have no one else to blame.

vanib wrote:

I called them more than a week ago. They did not seem to be able to troubleshoot much.

They then told me to call BlackBerry ... but I have to pay for support with BB right?

Try again. Whoever you spoke to is (I'll be gentle) not well trained. Unless Wind has something special in their contract with you, the normal method is that if they cannot solve it, they escalate your case to BlackBerry, at no cost to you whatsoever. If you bypass Wind and try to get help direct from BlackBerry, you would be breaking your support agreement, and then there would be fees involved. But there's no need for you to do that. All you need to do is be persistent and find someone at Wind who knows how this works, and will escalate properly your case.

Then again -- as I said, if there is something different about your contract with Wind, then they may well be right. I don't know...that's something in your contract with Wind, which I cannot see. The escalation model is the normal method...but it has been seen before where a carrier modifies that normal model...and your contract is with Wind, so that contract dictates what your exact support options and methods are. But I can't tell you what your contract says.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vanib

The solution: ...... changing my encoding on the BB phone from 8-bit to 7-bit !!!
Not sure if this is particular to Wind Mobile network but I had to wait a month before someone was able to help me.
I was about to buy a new phone!!!
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Wow...that's got to be the most subtle solution ever. For the benefit of others, would you mind posting the exact nature of the solution (e.g., step by step)?

Thanks!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vanib

Click on TEXT MESSAGES icon.
Go to BB Menu and Click OPTIONS