Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

hanyuriyu
My Carrier: 3

Chinese, Japanese, Korean Language Support

There were already a number of suggestions about how to get Chinese, Japanese, Korean installed, but none of the message threads were related to the new Curve 9300.

The Blackberry Desktop Manager, even if updated to the lastest software, does not offer an option for Chinese, Japanese, Korean to add under the Application Loader section.

Also it seems to be impossible to find the cjk.alx files online for download.

I would be grateful if anybody could give me a precise explanation on how to install those languages and be able to read as well type in them.

Thanks!

HO

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
stevels400
My Carrier: Orange UK

Re: Chinese, Japanese, Korean Language Support

Hi

hanyuriyu wrote:

The Blackberry Desktop Manager, even if updated to the lastest software, does not offer an option for Chinese, Japanese, Korean to add under the Application Loader section.

By latest software do you mean the OS ot the Desktop Software.

I'm assuming that you are updating your OS and want these language options.

Once the latest DTS (not Manager) has loaded the OS it seemlessly provides all the options including all the apps and the first option is languages from which you choose as required before scrolling to the other user-selectable options.

Follow all the steps here

In the guides it says to do a backup. Do this if you haven't already done so saving the file to a place and in a name that you can easily locate on computer.

I then uninstalled DTM and then deleted all other references to BB/Rim in Windows Explorer thus removing the OS for the BB from the computer in order to ensure that the version I would reinstall would be a brand new downloaded version.
Get the latest Desk Top Software

http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/?CPID=OTC-DSKTPSW&cp=OTC-DSKTPSW

and install it on the computer.

Get the correct latest version of the OS

http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

and save it to computer.

To erase all the data on your BlackBerry device, complete the following steps. This option is available with
BlackBerry Device Software 3.8 and later.

1. In the device Options, click Security.
If you are using BlackBerry Device Software 4.1, click Security Options > General Security.
2. Click the trackwheel and select Wipe Handheld.
3. Click Continue.
4. Type “blackberry”. All the data on the BlackBerry device is erased.

On some new versions of BlackBerry software, the menu navigation is slightly different.

1. Go to Options.
2. Select Security Options.
3. Select General Settings.
4. Click the Menu key.
5. Select Wipe Handheld.
6. Click Continue.
7. Type “blackberry”. All the data on the BlackBerry device is erased.

Launch the new Desk Top Software on the computer

1. Connect your device to your computer.
2. On the home screen of the BlackBerry® Desktop Software, click Update my device.
3. Do one of the following:
* To download an update, click Get update.
* To view other available versions of the BlackBerry Device Software, click View other versions. If applicable, click another version. Click Install.

Ensure the new OS is the one you prevously downloaded.

Do not disconnect the device until the whole process is completed and the device has rebooted.

After 10 minutes reboot again by removing the battery whilst powered-on and leave it out for a couple of minutes.

Leave it again for 10 minutes. You should now have a fully functioning BB!

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
j1111

Hello,

May I ask if you resolved this? I am thinking of buying a Curve 9300 but only if I can use Chinese and Japanese.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

j1111 wrote:

Hello,

May I ask if you resolved this? I am thinking of buying a Curve 9300 but only if I can use Chinese and Japanese.

Thanks!

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

As this thread is nearly a year old, I will jump in. Please see this helpful KB:

• KB05305Localization support for BlackBerry smartphones

Languages on a BB are controlled by the specific OS package installed to the BB, available via the official download portal:

The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

4) If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

5) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

Don't forget to backup.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
j1111

Hello!

Extremely grateful for your input!! If I can trouble you with one more question,

I have not yet actually bought a BlackBerry, I want to buy the Curve 9320 but only if it 100% certain that I can read and type Chinese and Japanese.

Does the method you have suggested apply to all BlackBerrys?? Even the 9320?

Again many thanks!!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
IekOni
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

Got my 9320 this morning and I have to say that I'm completely disapointed!!!

I bought this one for a profesionnal use thinking that I could use japanese input to send mail, but not at all!!

SInce it's a model which is not released in Japan I can't even change the firmware...

I just want to say, that I really want to throw this one on the garbage.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

j1111 wrote:

Hello!

Extremely grateful for your input!! If I can trouble you with one more question,

I have not yet actually bought a BlackBerry, I want to buy the Curve 9320 but only if it 100% certain that I can read and type Chinese and Japanese.

Does the method you have suggested apply to all BlackBerrys?? Even the 9320?

Again many thanks!!

The method applies to all BBs, but you must seek out, via the official download portal, those OS packages that are available with the specific language you desire (as per KB05305)...the OS package must state exactly what that KB indicates in order to contain the languages specified in the KB.

So, I cannot tell you if there is an OS package for the 9320 that contains the language you desire...you must dig through the available OS packages for the 9320, in conjunction with KB05305, to determine that for yourself. In all likelihood, you will find what you need...but, short of doing that digging for you, I cannot answer with 100% certainty.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

IekOni wrote:

Got my 9320 this morning and I have to say that I'm completely disapointed!!!

I bought this one for a profesionnal use thinking that I could use japanese input to send mail, but not at all!!

SInce it's a model which is not released in Japan I can't even change the firmware...

I just want to say, that I really want to throw this one on the garbage.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Before you take such drastic action, please re-read this thread, including post 4 above...you will find that you are not limited to those OS packages released only by your carrier, but you can seek out other carriers OS packages that perhaps contain the language you require.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
IekOni
My Carrier: Bouygues Telecom

Hi,

I admit that I was exagerating, but for me such thing should be preinstalled (and because I only have a mac)!

I finally installed the japanese input but it was really hard for me, because I'm not very used to such things!

In order to get the  asian language pack go on asia, Taiwan mobile and select the "multi language" pack firmware of the 9320!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

IekOni wrote:

Hi,

I admit that I was exagerating, but for me such thing should be preinstalled (and because I only have a mac)!

I finally installed the japanese input but it was really hard for me, because I'm not very used to such things!

In order to get the  asian language pack go on asia, Taiwan mobile and select the "multi language" pack firmware of the 9320!

Well, your solution is indeed completely in keeping with the instructions provided above...as was mentioned, with MAC, one is limited to only their carriers OS packages, but one can choose whichever one that their carrier provides, and as you discovered, your carrier indeed did provide an OS level that worked for your needs. But, please accept my apology for not clairvoyantly knowing that you were on MAC.

As for wanting it pre-installed...well, consider the impact. Everything installed to a BB consumes resources, whether it is used or not. So, preinstalling all languages (which, to carry your desire beyond your individual need, one must do) would consume a tremendous amount of device resource for things that are not used by many other users. The consequence, of course, would be that many would come here complaining that there is too much unnecessary "junk" on their BB, not leaving them adequate resources to do the things they desire.

Truly, it is a "no win"...no matter what is done, there will be some subset that is not happy. While it is unlucky that you are in that subset for this circumstance, it is not unexpected.

In any event...well done on finding the solution that you required!

Enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.