Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

VR08
My Device: Non BB
My Carrier: --

Choice between 8520 and 9300

Hi, I'm in a bit of a dilemma, I would like to buy a BB but dont know which model to take, either the 9300 or the 8520. I have read through the differences between the 2 handsets and more or less the 9300 is better on paper.

The provider is offering me the BB 9300 for 190 pounds (I'm just converting this into pounds) MORE than the 8520.

My question is that,  is the 9300 a 190 pounds more better than the 8520?

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
stevels400
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: Orange UK

Re: Choice between 8520 and 9300

Hi and welcome

Good thinking to check first. Thanks for converting into £ but this is multi-national so no need. Now as you have done I will explain about here in the UK.

I'm guessing you are in the US and it seems to me you guys pay a fortune for devices and still have to buy carrier time.

In the UK, at present, if you sign up for an 18 month carrier contract which will cost around £10 per month inc 500Mb data you get the 8520 FREE, nada, zip. And you get 12 months carrier warranty on the device as well. Maybe there are similar deals around you?

The 8520 does not have GPS functionality and this makes it cumbersome for applications that rely on location settings such as FB Places and many others.

The 8520 is unlikely to receive the latest software  - OS 6 due to limitations of the memory/processor. OS 6 is available for the 9300 and will probably come pre-loaded. There's nothing wrong with OS 5 but it cannot be upgraded on the 8520.

Whichever you choose, make sure you have a data plan; without data you seriously limit the functionality of any BB and don't worry about extra data costs unless you have no Wi-Fi at home and want to be downloading music/video constantly. Last month, I used 2.6Mb of my 500Mb allowance.

Good luck and hope to see you on here regularly.

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
Please use plain text.
VR08
My Device: Non BB
My Carrier: --

Thank you for you reply, i'm actually from South Africa and basically  we have 24 month contracts and the data offering on both the deals are unlimited so thats one box that already has been ticked.

Its just the prices of these deals which are in question, thats the only choice I got to make.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
stevels400
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: Orange UK

Hi

I added the bit about the data plan because we get loads of folk on here wondering why they can't do something they know the device is capable of and then finding they need a data plan.

Interesting that the market in South Africa appears similar to the States; you don't get the free phone. Maybe the competition is so fierce here that all they want is the contract, they phone is not sold by the carrier.

Anyway, I set out the couple of differences for you so if FaceBook is your thing then shelling out the extra is probably what you need.

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
Please use plain text.