Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
EastTexasRN
My Device: Not Specified

Coffee & blackberry don't mix apparently!

Panic stricken!  Just spilled coffee on my precious blackberry!  Please advise.  I took the battery out within 45 seconds and have dried it completely with air. It will ring and show the home page but the the keys will not work.  The track ball will highlight all icons but when pressed will not open the icons.  It will ring but I cannot answer it.  Am I sunk?  It's a 7 month old curve.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
kijanasmart
My Device: 8330

Re: Coffee & blackberry don't mix apparently!

Welcome to the forums :smileyhappy:

You really need to let the phone dry for several days (1 week would be good) in a cool dry place. A lot of people have been know to place it in a bag of uncooked rice or in front of an AC. Remove the battery immediately and do not use the phone! Allowing the phone to dry out thoroughly is vital to get it running again. I'm still a little worried that since it was coffee and not just plain water, you may still face trouble. Coffee stains are a pain to clean and when it dries, they could cause havoc in the circuits (I'm speculating). Try my suggestion out and see if it helps.

If it is still problematic, the next step is to see what your service provider can do for you...or you could try opening up and cleaning the phone. There is a youtube video on opening up the curve, you can do that and try and clean out the interior: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmaFHJNNsR4

You can also order replacement parts from: http://horizonwirelessonline.com/cat/

Whatever you do, be careful! Hopefully you get things working :smileyhappy:

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Rob7

This happened to me as well with the coffee and Kijana is right on the money. I took mine apart (see link from Kijana) because the buttons still would not work after a week of drying. Under the keyboard is a white contact membrane. It is stuck on there so I had to peel it back slowly (not all the way off so the contacts line up again) and found black gunk from the coffee covering the contacts. Cleaned it up and it worked right away. Unfortunatly 2 months later now it is acting up again for no apparent reason and I can't seem to correct it. Just searching the forum now for an answer hopefully.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Rob7

Should add, only dis-assemble if out of warranty/options.
Please use plain text.