Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
strikesteve
My Device: Curve 8900

Complicated receiving messsages problem..

Hi All,

Okay the problem I am having is as follows... I am currently in the US (I'm from the UK) so I am unable to use the cellular network (don't want the huge roaming costs) ... When I first got here I connected by blackberry to the WiFi at the place I'm staying and I was able to browse the Internet, go on MSN and receive all the email messages I needed...  Well one day I was out and my battery run quite low.. So I turned it off.... Well when I had it charged and turned it back on it seems unable to receive any messages over just the wifi anymore... The browser still works but I cannot receive any emails and when I try to access sign into MSN it comes up with the message: "Data Services Unavailable"?

I have tried completely deleting the saved wifi network and then recreating it and I have also tried a battery pull... Nothing seems to be able to get my blackberry back to how it was before.

I think that it is also worth noting that for about 2 days before this happened my battery was draining really, really fast. As in about a full charge would last maybe a hour .. Whereas before I would get maybe 3 days off of a charge... And then since I've been unable to receive emails again the battery life is back up?  I'm not sure if this has anything to do with anything but I thought I'd mention it.

Any help on this would be sooooo, so, so useful as I need to be able to get into my email while I'm away.

Further Info:

I have a Blackberry Curve 8900 v4.6.1.133 (Platform 4.2.0.85) and am on the Uk o2 network.

Cryptographic Kernel: v 3.8.5.50a

Branding Version: 1.0.125.40

Micro Edition Configuration: CLDC-1.1

Micro Edition Profile: MIDP-2.0

Micro Edition JTWI: 1.0

Micro Edition Media: 1.1

Micro Edition PIM: 1.0

Micro Edition File: 1.0

Micro Edition Bluetooth: 1.1

Micro Edition Location: 1.0.1

Micro Edition Security and Trust Services (APDU) : 1.0

WLAN Version: 2.5.0.41

Nuance VSuite 2.1

File Freee: 103768678 Bytes

Apps:

beyond411: 4.20.5

BB Core Apps: 4.6

BB System Software: 4.6

BB App World: 1.0.0.27

BB Attachment Service: 4.6.1

BB Maps: 4.6.1

BB Messenger: 4.6.0

Browser: 4.6.1

Brickbreaker: 4.6.1

Documents to Go: 1.003.018

Email Setup App: 4.6.1

Facebook: 1.7.0.22

FlyCast: 1.34.0.0

Google Maps: 3.0.2

Help: 4.6.1

Klondike: 1.4.8

Live Search: 2.0.3048.13898

MemoPad: 4.6.1

Nobex radio Companion 2.1.0.187

Password Keeper: 4.6.1

Phone: 4.6.1

Pocket Express: 4.28.8

Sudoku: 1.0.11

Tasks: 4.6.1

Texas Hold'Em King 2: 2.3.0

Viigo for Blackberry: 3.0.892.0

WeatherBug: 1.0.0.325

WeatherEye: 1.0.22.4

Windows Live Messenger: 2.1.42

Word Mole: 4.6.1

WorldMate Live: 2.7.5

As I said before I've tried a battery pull reset but it didn't help at all.

Thank you for any help!

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Complicated receiving messsages problem..

I'd say you've lost your service books, probably in the reboot process, since you're not connected to your network.

On your BlackBerry device, go to:

1. Options > Advanced > Host Routing Table > Menu > Register.

2. Resend your service books from your carrier BIS site:
From your handheld device:   http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB15402

Go to the Personal Email Set Up icon and log in. Then under Help!, select Service Books, then select Send service Books.

From your desktop PC:  http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02830
North American Carriers - scroll down to select your carrier
WorldWide Carriers - Find your carrier on the list

3. With the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot. This reboot, even if you have already done this, is often needed to install the service books.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
strikesteve

Hi there!

Thanks for getting back to me! Errrm.. Okay well I have tried to do what you said... But in doing so I've noticed a new problem... Errm... Okay basically when I try to type an actual address in and press enter I get the following message: "The radio on the device is currently turned off or the batter is too low for the radio to be used. As a result, the Browser cannot retrieve any Web pages. Please turn the radio on or recharge the batter and try again. Contact your service provider if this problem persists." ... However if I use the google search option instead of typing in an address... Then the I can browse around...

I followed what you said and went onto that send service books thing... But I'm afraid that because I don't have cellular reception here it won't work.... And because I can't type an address in the bar I cannot access it via the handheld link you provided?.. I understand that I may well have an impossible situation and if that's the case then that is fine... I just wanted to see if there was a way to get the email working again over just the WiFi while I can't use the cell network.

Again thank you for your help.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I'm going to ask a friend to look at this.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
strikesteve

Okay. Thank you for your help :smileyhappy:

New Contributor
strikesteve

Just noticed something else... Not sure if it has any relevance whatsoever... I have a 4GB SCHD card which I store things on... I've just noticed that the Blackberry is not registering that as being there at all. When I connect the card to my computer it recognises it fine..... Again not sure if this is related or a separate issue.. But I thought I'd add it as well.

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Much of this can be carrier dependent.  Some carriers don't allow you to use wifi like this when out of your country.  I don't know if this is the case here or not.  It might help if we knew which carrier you are with as someone may have info about that carrier. 

I agree with JSanders in that you must have lost some service books during the reboot (which is normal) but you're not getting them back which tells me that the device is not seeing the carrier information it needs in order to get them back. 

Have you looked in Wifi Diagnostics under Wifi Tools in Manage Connections?  Sometimes it will give a code or more information in there. 

The other thing it could be is the wifi network you are connecting to.  Have you tried any other wifi networks?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
strikesteve

Hi there,

Okay I've looked under the Wi-Fi Diagnositcs bit and it says under WiFi that Network is accquired.

But VPN says "VPN profile is not found" and then Blackberry Infrastructure says Connecting and then there is a red X in the box.

The Captive Portal detection Data come back with the Status Code 200

Other than that... I'm on the o2 network..... As I said before.. It worked for a while but then stopped.... If it is what you guys are suggesting then I guess there is not much I can do till I get back in the UK (which with this Volcano thingy may be a while) ..

Oh and I've tried connecting to other networks and it's just the same old thing... Just doesn't do anything...

I appreciate all the help guys. Thank you.

New Contributor
strikesteve

Wow... Managed to get it working... I was just doing a battery reset as normal and I noticed that the sim card had managed to get a small partical of something stuck under it... So from the top it looked normal but it wasn't actually connecting properly. Once I removed it and made sure the SIM was in correctly I started receiving messages...

The only thing that's playing up now is my SDHC ScanDisk car which is working when I put it into the computer but the Blackberry seems unable to see it?  Any ideas on that one?

Other than that thanks for all your help :smileyhappy: